JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Vendor
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Came across a bolt on Jeep JK kit. Anyone interested? We have got supercharging pretty much down at this point, but this may appeal to a diff audience.

http://prodigyperformance.com/

Pricing seems to be starting at just over $5k, making 279/344 at the wheels.

Specs we found so far:

Garrett T4 550hp capable Turbocharger
Tial MVS Wastegate
100% Mandrel Bent Tubing
Oversize Intercooler
Diablosport Intune
Custom Tune
6 Bosch injectors
Calibrated Map Sensor
Stainless Steel Construction
Pre-Assembled for faster installation
Step by Step instructions
Worldwide Technical Support
Made in the USA

·
Registered
925 Posts
but this may appeal to a diff audience.

Pricing seems to be starting at just over $5k, making 279/344 at the wheels.
I'm no "mechanically aspirated" expert so I've got a question for you:

What is the performance difference between Supercharged and Turbocharged? I am aware that SC is done thru the engine power via belt to blower, and TC is from engine exhaust to the blower. I'm just curious as to why it would appeal to a different audience.

What is the RIPP running these days; and what HP/TQ is that making?

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
disadvantage of the turbo is the added heat. if they're run under the hood you will normally see higher temps under hood and areas surrounding the turbo. this also means hotter intake temps and thus reduced power (intercoolers help reduce this). The other big disadvantage is turbos will have some turbo lag (the time it takes for the turbo to start spooling up after the engine accelerates) this equates to less power in the bottom of the RPM band which is where you'd really want it if you do any crawling. Superchargers are connected to the engine usually via belt and thus the RPM of the supercharger increases instantly as the engine RPM increases. Waste gates on turbos allow them to spool quicker as they bypass and don't generate any boost (pressure) until they spool up, but they're still not as instant as superchargers.

·
Registered
925 Posts
disadvantage of the turbo is the added heat. if they're run under the hood you will normally see higher temps under hood and areas surrounding the turbo. this also means hotter intake temps and thus reduced power (intercoolers help reduce this). The other big disadvantage is turbos will have some turbo lag (the time it takes for the turbo to start spooling up after the engine accelerates) this equates to less power in the bottom of the RPM band which is where you'd really want it if you do any crawling. Superchargers are connected to the engine usually via belt and thus the RPM of the supercharger increases instantly as the engine RPM increases. Waste gates on turbos allow them to spool quicker as they bypass and don't generate any boost (pressure) until they spool up, but they're still not as instant as superchargers.
Well shit, with all that why would you choose a turbo over a SC? I'm assuming that a TC would be more fuel efficient than a SC due to a SC putting load on the engine?

Like I said, I'm no expert but a SC sounds like a better choice.

Edit: Just looked up the STS TC that you guys mentioned. Got most of my answers (biased towards the TC of course). But what is wrong with that STS "style?"?

Edit #2: Disregard. Just looked at their pictures, and all I can think is ROCK RASH!

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I don't know about anyone else, but my JK has never been underpowered around town or on the trails, and doesn't need more power for those types of driving. It needs power on the highway, at 2500 rpm and up, where a turbo that is properly sized will have very little lag.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Well shit, with all that why would you choose a turbo over a SC? I'm assuming that a TC would be more fuel efficient than a SC due to a SC putting load on the engine?

Like I said, I'm no expert but a SC sounds like a better choice.

Edit: Just looked up the STS TC that you guys mentioned. Got most of my answers (biased towards the TC of course). But what is wrong with that STS "style?"?

Edit #2: Disregard. Just looked at their pictures, and all I can think is ROCK RASH!
An STS turbo is essentially a remotely mounted turbo. Usually they're mounted under the vehicle and they work the same way as a normal turbo but they have to run the cold air lines farther to get to the intake of the engine. (also makes the run to an intercooler longer thus decreasing efficiency a bit) The advantage of this setup, is it keeps the hot turbo out of the engine compartment and being under the vehicle even keeps the turbo cooler. While this is fine on a car thats only driven on the street, think about what will happen in a Jeep that sees mud forced up under the bottom side of the Jeep, is exposed to rocks (yes it can be protected but now you have $5k hanging off the bottom side of your jeep and you're trusting a 1/4" plate to protect it), and also consider what happens when a really hot turbo hits water thats around 45 degrees--thermal shock. I've seen one company with this setup for a Jeep and they said their turbos could handle it but idk that i would want to trust it.

To answer your other question, turbos do have their place. Personally I feel that a supercharger better fits the needs for Jeeps but that isn't going to be true across the board. Where turbos have an advantage is they can be easily tuned usually via a programmer or computer of some sort. You can adjust when the waste gate cuts in and out, and some turbos have variable pitch blades, thus adjusting the amount of boost produced at a given RPM level and depending on power demands. This means that (using the right tuner--they make ones specifically for turbos) you can adjust the turbo on the fly. This is really nice for sports cars when you want to adjust the street-ability of the car or in trucks if you want to adjust for heavier loads and such. That being said, for a Jeep, it might benefit someone who DD's their Jeep and occasionally hits the trails, and wants a bit more power with adjustability of the turbo and without the cost of a Hemi. Turbos produce higher boost numbers easier than superchargers IMO (you can get higher boost out of a small turbo vs a small supercharger), but then again, high boost numbers will only help you if you have a low compression engine. (turbos/superchargers are a method of forced induction and thus essentially increase an engines compression externally via the intake, if your compression numbers get too high you have to use higher octane fuel to stop detonation, if you don't severe engine damage will occur).

Heres another thing to keep in mind, with a (centrifugal) supercharger if you ever have an issue, you can just switch out the belt and take the supercharger out of the loop and your engine is back to stock essentially. Not so easy with a turbo. Sorry for the book, this may be more info than you bargained for but I feel its all pretty much relevant lol.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I don't know about anyone else, but my JK has never been underpowered around town or on the trails, and doesn't need more power for those types of driving. It needs power on the highway, at 2500 rpm and up, where a turbo that is properly sized will have very little lag.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
Lol I had a few thoughts going through my head as to how I was going to respond to this, first thought was you can never have too much power :thefinger: lol. But I'll agree with you, its not terrible when crawling if the you have it geared right as thats what gearing is for. And its acceptable around town but i wouldn't go as far as to say it doesn't feel underpowered lol, to me it still does. That being said, you're right, a turbo will be fine for most people and yeah, lag is minimal with the right size turbo, but a supercharger will still pretty much always generate boost quicker than a turbo, especially smaller turbos its not as much of an issue as they spool pretty quickly, bigger turbos is another story. Still though, superchargers will pretty much always generate the initial boost quicker than a turbo. And i can't see spending $5k on a turbo when I can have supercharger for the same amount and have the benefits of lower RPM torque, which is where our 3.8's are lacking, but thats just my opinion

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
you could always stack a set of hx-40s and solve all the power problems
LOL twin turbos, now you're talking! That would pretty much eliminate most of the lag. Wonder if our little 3.8's could handle that much boost.

Eventually when I get the money I'm just gonna say eff it and do an LS swap lol. Its just hard for me to justify spending ~$5k for a supercharger/turbo when my 3.8 has 60k on it already and will have a bunch more by the time id have the $$ to do it. Id rather just save a few more pennies and get an LS as I'll probably be needing a new engine at that point anyways. But who knows.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
LOL twin turbos, now you're talking! That would pretty much eliminate most of the lag. Wonder if our little 3.8's could handle that much boost.

Eventually when I get the money I'm just gonna say eff it and do an LS swap lol. Its just hard for me to justify spending ~$5k for a supercharger/turbo when my 3.8 has 60k on it already and will have a bunch more by the time id have the $$ to do it. Id rather just save a few more pennies and get an LS as I'll probably be needing a new engine at that point anyways. But who knows.
it will not...no research needed...i just did it...both head gaskets blow out on first launch...probably snap the headbolts too

you say when you get more money...i say when i rob the bank on the corner...

4bt all day long...
but im biased

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
it will not...no research needed...i just did it...both head gaskets blow out on first launch...probably snap the headbolts too

you say when you get more money...i say when i rob the bank on the corner...

4bt all day long...
but im biased
LOL thats not to surprising. Those turbos put out quite a bit of boost.

Haha yeah seriously. And a 4bt would be nice too. I just love the sound of a V8 and I'm admittedly a bit of a Chevy guy so I want an LS :thefinger:

·
Registered
827 Posts

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
If anyone's in South Florida, it looks like they want some tester vehicles for bolt on turbo kits. Someone should give them a call.

By the way, their most recent tweet was that they "sponsored JK Forum today."

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.