JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have they come out with a Turbo kit for the JK yet? I know about the Super Chargers, but I have not seen any thing about a Turbo other than the Turbo Diesel that I guess they offer over seas. Any one have any thoughts on this?
Thanks,
Kevin.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Just my extremely novice opinion based on limited understanding of how superchargers and turbos work, I'd say there isnt a big rush for turbos because of the spool time? Seems like alot of the wheeling n such is done in such a low RPM band that the turbos wouldnt be able to add their HP/TQ gains where as a super charger is a leeched induction (Dunno if thats even a term but) and being belt drivin (as opposed to turbos using exhaust) the extra power can be made lower in the RPM band?

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Even superchargers aren't very effective offroad. The centrifugal kind hits it's powerband around 3500-3700 rpm (RippMods,Hesco,etc.) What is really ideal is the roots type SC, it is the closest thing to useful HP/ torque for the JK in an offroad situation. Avenger is the only one that I know of that is working on this kind. Hopefully they can get it right. A friend of mine made one for his JK and wound up destroying his engine with only 10 lbs of boost. :shaking: This engine really isn't designed to hold up very well to a SC. He's working on a diesel conversion now, I'm planning to go this route if he pulls it off in a relatively inexpensive manner.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree on the trail. The complaint that I have heard is that when they put bigger tires on the JK it looses power on the road. So I was just wondering if this would be good on the street. So far the wheeling that I have been doing has called on a finess touch, slow and easy and 4 low seems to be fine. I guess if you like playing in the Mud I can see where more power would be good thing and the Super Charger would give you that bang right now.
Thanks for the reply.
Kevin.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Good call...right on the money. I have built several performance diesels and that is why turbos work so well on diesels and in race applications. The longer the spool the better. Can be very responsive but usually only when you are already moving along. I had a 2003 cummins with a custom built turbo (along with several other mods) putting right at 900hp to the ground and on 35's, running 70 if i timed it just right in the spool i could break the back tires loose. Supercharger is quick right there right then power, much better application for wheelin purposes.

Just my extremely novice opinion based on limited understanding of how superchargers and turbos work, I'd say there isnt a big rush for turbos because of the spool time? Seems like alot of the wheeling n such is done in such a low RPM band that the turbos wouldnt be able to add their HP/TQ gains where as a super charger is a leeched induction (Dunno if thats even a term but) and being belt drivin (as opposed to turbos using exhaust) the extra power can be made lower in the RPM band?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My Brother always talks about the engine in the Dodge Nitro. I guess it is simular to the JK engine, any thoughts on this?
Kevin.

·
Registered
665 Posts
The diesel conversion will work best with the diesel that is in the liberty. I am pretty sure it is the motor they use in the export JKs but not sure on that. One of the top diesel performance companies is in my home town and he just bought a JK unlimited for this very purpose. he is waiting for his warranty to run out because right now his wife drives it, but once the warranty is out he is going to put a CRD motor out of a liberty. He also has a CRD liberty with a little over 300hp....fun as H$LL to drive.

Even superchargers aren't very effective offroad. The centrifugal kind hits it's powerband around 3500-3700 rpm (RippMods,Hesco,etc.) What is really ideal is the roots type SC, it is the closest thing to useful HP/ torque for the JK in an offroad situation. Avenger is the only one that I know of that is working on this kind. Hopefully they can get it right. A friend of mine made one for his JK and wound up destroying his engine with only 10 lbs of boost. :shaking: This engine really isn't designed to hold up very well to a SC. He's working on a diesel conversion now, I'm planning to go this route if he pulls it off in a relatively inexpensive manner.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
My Brother always talks about the engine in the Dodge Nitro. I guess it is simular to the JK engine, any thoughts on this?
Kevin.
I believe the Nitro engine is the 3.7. It's the same engine as in the Liberty. It's a different engine altogether.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I have read, on another forum, that the engineers have made it very clear that there isn't much more that can be done to improve the 3.8L-V6, in our JKs. What I mean by "improve", is, adding a turbo or supercharger to get more horsepower and torque. Very little is gained from a K&N air filter, or a cold air intake, with our engine. That is why some people have upgraded to a Hemi, etc.
Needless to say, I won't be making an engine upgrade. My Jeep's engine is very strong and capable.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
The only thing keeping me from going to a Hemi is the price... :pissed:

·
Registered
665 Posts
My Jeep's engine is very strong and capable.
I agree...I have been pulling a 12ft tandem axle trailer for two days now with a Scag 61" mower and all the other gear that goes with mowing and was pleasantly suprised how well it is doing. I can run 70 on the interstate no problem at all....Takes a minute to get there, but I am not trying to drag race anyone. haha

1 - 12 of 12 Posts