JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Really?? No one has any opinions on the town/state. I lost my job at the begining of September and this is the first good lead I've gotten to stay in my industry with similar compensation. I'm hearing all kinds of great things from those offering the job and I'm planning on driving over to check it out. So, please, if you've lived in or around Tulsa I'd love to know what you think of it.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I am not much help, But i live 200 miles east of Tulsa, And it is a big town.

What exactly are you asking about?

Oh, The irony... I am in Charlotte at the moment with my job...lol (Belmont Actually)

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am not much help, But i live 200 miles east of Tulsa, And it is a big town.

What exactly are you asking about?

Oh, The irony... I am in Charlotte at the moment with my job...lol (Belmont Actually)
Too funny. I went to high school and college in Belmont.

I guess I should have been more specific. My wife and I like to spend more time out doors than in. How's the recreational aspect of the area? Boating, cycling, hiking, rock climbing, and of course off road access availability. What are the people like, I grew up in Kansas so I don't know if there will be much of a difference there. How are the commutes from the outlying areas into the city? All in all, who loves it and why? Who hates it and why?

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I would say that tulsa has everything your looking. Lots of recreation areas like the Grand Lake for fishing, Disney for rock crawling... Missouri and Arkansas are not far away for trees and stuff, Good Motorcycle riding is not far away either.

The only thing i hate about that area is the damned toll roads...:pissed:

It's looking like i will be in Belmont for the night... I hate my job sometimes...:shaking:

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
RUN!!!!!!

It will suck the life from you and your family. I grew up in Tulsa, and it still keeps dragging me back.

If you come keep it in mind that you want to move somwhere better. You can get sucked into the economic whirlpool. It is very inexpensive to live here and you can set your standard of living so high you can't move.

If you have kids, be prepaired to have grandkids. The only thing for them to do is Drink and have Sex. Some people say that's everywhere, not like here. I've lived across this counrtry both as military and civilian. It sucks here. Before I move in '94 I would have told you Tulsa is the greatest place on earth. Tulsa only offer Temp. Living. There is far less wheeling then 2O years ago.

OK I'M DONE WITH THAT. MY PHONE KEYS ARE SMOKING.

Now for the non-bias John.

Tulsa is Great if:
you are heavy into Christian churches.

You live for football rivalry (the kind that gets people hurt)

You live to hunt.

You live to fish.

You live for your Kids.

You live to Shoot (RedCastle Gun club is the best around)

Tulsa serves it purpose for some, unless your leaving the rat race to slow down you won't find what your looking for here. If you pick up a cheap house and save, save, save, you can save enough to buy your way to a better life. If you move here you will have plenty of time to think about it.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
RUN!!!!!!

It will suck the life from you and your family. I grew up in Tulsa, and it still keeps dragging me back.

If you come keep it in mind that you want to move somwhere better. You can get sucked into the economic whirlpool. It is very inexpensive to live here and you can set your standard of living so high you can't move.

If you have kids, be prepaired to have grandkids. The only thing for them to do is Drink and have Sex. Some people say that's everywhere, not like here. I've lived across this counrtry both as military and civilian. It sucks here. Before I move in '94 I would have told you Tulsa is the greatest place on earth. Tulsa only offer Temp. Living. There is far less wheeling then 2O years ago.

Tulsa is Great if:

You live to hunt.

You live to fish.

You live for your Kids.

Tulsa serves it purpose for some, unless your leaving the rat race to slow down you won't find what your looking for here. If you pick up a cheap house and save, save, save, you can save enough to buy your way to a better life. If you move here you will have plenty of time to think about it.

Thanks for the insight. We kinda like the idea of slowing things down a little and are just now planning a family (no kids yet, only dogs). I actually miss my hometown a little (population 156). Still, I don't want to drive an hour to get some groceries or see a movie. I met my wife in Madison WI. We both loved that town, just not the weather. I know it's a college town with a lot going on, but the size was just about right for us.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
I flew in to Tulsa 2 weeks ago,picked up a Jeep and drove back to Savannah,GA.I was not at all impressed with what I saw there in Tulsa or any of the surrounding areas travelling across I-40 to Memphis.Maybe I need a personal tour to get more insight,but after reading your post,I don't think I missed anything.

·
Premium Member
15,301 Posts
I hear that they are huge Dallas Cowboy fans up there. :laughing:

·
Premium Member
15,301 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
I lived in OKC for a few years, made it down to Tulsa a couple times. Be warned Okies are CRAZY about their religion, politics, & football. The weather can get a little crazy, lived without power for 10 days once because of a stinking ice storm. For Oklahoma - Tulsa is not too bad of a place to live IMHO.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Slowing down can be a good thing. You won't have to drive an hour for groceries. The surrounding area has approx. 800K people.

The problem is the people. The religious Hypocrisy is horrible, and If you like any other team but your local High school or OU, then prepair to be assaulted.

You can live rich here, you'll just live in a culturally challanged environment.

Quick geography lesson, look at the map.

Self serving religious snobs live in Broken Arrow and South Tulsa.
New money live in South Tulsa and Jenks.
Poor Black north tulsa.
Poor White West tulsa.
Poor hispanic east tulsa.
Yuppie Midtown (just south and east of downtown)

Owasso is a mess in its own, the town was built up be AmericanAirlines Employees (Union)

Most of the sane people push out and buy a bit of land that way they don't have to live with the idiots.

If you get serious about moving here PM me and I'll answer any question I can.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Slowing down can be a good thing. You won't have to drive an hour for groceries. The surrounding area has approx. 800K people.

The problem is the people. The religious Hypocrisy is horrible, and If you like any other team but your local High school or OU, then prepair to be assaulted.

You can live rich here, you'll just live in a culturally challanged environment.

Quick geography lesson, look at the map.

Self serving religious snobs live in Broken Arrow and South Tulsa.
New money live in South Tulsa and Jenks.
Poor Black north tulsa.
Poor White West tulsa.
Poor hispanic east tulsa.
Yuppie Midtown (just south and east of downtown)

Owasso is a mess in its own, the town was built up be AmericanAirlines Employees (Union)

Most of the sane people push out and buy a bit of land that way they don't have to live with the idiots.

If you get serious about moving here PM me and I'll answer any question I can.

Thanks for all the info. It really helps. I may send you a couple addresses later if the interview goes well if you don't mind. The wife's an icu nurse and she's looking at St. Francis. So we're trying to stay w/in a 30 min drive from there. I'll owe you a :beer:

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
No problem. You can cover a lot of ground in 30min here.

·
Registered
55 Posts
RUN!!!!!!

Tulsa is Great if:

You live to hunt.

You live to fish.

You live for your Kids.

X2 :shaking: I lived in northern Oklahoma most my life and want/NEED to get out. There are a few places to wheel here (The roads are worse than trails, lol). But I would not move here unless your job pays very well.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
X2 :shaking: I lived in northern Oklahoma most my life and want/NEED to get out. There are a few places to wheel here (The roads are worse than trails, lol). But I would not move here unless your job pays very well.
That's just it. I was a regional sales manager for a national new home builder. There have been no opportunities here that are anywhere near my past compensation or level of responsibility. This new job would have me running the show with a bump in pay. If the cost of living is that much lower than Charlotte it sounds like a better opportunity that I originally thought. ;)

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
The cost of living is pretty low here. It just resently took a jump but is still lower then Dallas Area, which is a better place to live. I just moved back to Tulsa a couple of years ago from a short stay in Mckinney, Texas. I still have my home there because it was over built just before the big drop in housing. I was lucky to buy at the peak of the sales boom:pissed: Oklahoma offered me what your being offered. A good increase in pay in a stable environment. The move to Tulsa allowed me to buy a home and rent my Texas home at a small loss and still have a decent life. Anywhere else would have been a disaster.

St Francis will be a good place to work, plenty of sick people here. Physically and mentally.

I noticed your age and thought your going to here the same crap we wen't through. "No Kids, Is something wrong". The people here are used to being parents at 15 and Grandparents by 30. My wife and I decided to live our lives first then get married and have kids. We had out first at 35, people still look around for "the other kids" when we walk in with an infant. They don't get it here. :beer:

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Was in Tulsa over 20 years ago...just passing through and in time for a tornado...never again...don't like the idea of being tornado bait.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.