JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed my Tuffy underseat security box today....love it - perfect fit, great build quality, and easy to install (once I broke out the impact wrench to get the seat bolts out!! Yikes, they were in there good!).

In fact, right afterwards, I had to go to the currency exchange house to get a mitt full of cash for an upcoming trip, and I feel safer leaving the cash in the Jeep instead of in my desk at the office.

But...one question to those who have gone before. I got the combination lock so I can lock my keys in the box (at the beach etc), and once you remove the key lock with that little grab bar and replace it with the combination lock, there is not much to grab on to pull the drawer open....what did you do (if anything).

G

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
I love this box. Can you toss up a pic with the combo box?

·
Registered
100 Posts
I love mine....someone else said it, but I just grab onto underneath and slide it out..works like a charm.

·
Registered
916 Posts
thats very cool :smokin:

quick question... Would the drawer slid open if you left the key or combination lock unlocked while driving around? or is there a detent to prevent it from sliding open till you give it a good tug?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Very nice. I'm looking at one of these too. Thanks for posting the pict.

·
Registered
87 Posts

quick question... Would the drawer slid open if you left the key or combination lock unlocked while driving around? or is there a detent to prevent it from sliding open till you give it a good tug?
There is no detent to prevent it from sliding it open. The way the slide works and the drawer seals up it is a little stiff to get started so it probably wouldn't just come open and slide around during normal driving but if you hit the brakes really hard it may be enough to make the drawer slide out.

·
Registered
72 Posts
So is the combo lock an option? I don't see it offered on the Quadratec site.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Like mentioned, yes, you have to leave it locked while driving...if you have someting heavy in there and slam on the brakes...it will slam forward and get you the back of the legs.

But, with the combination lock, I have found that if I twist it in the "lock" position, but on the correct combination, a simple twist and you can open it open any time you want. For an additional measure of safety, I just click the top digit one number to the left or right so it can't accidently be left unlocked or move to unlocked. If I need it secured, a quick twist and all the numbers are scrambled.

One BAD thing about the combination lock....since the Jeep does NOT have underdash lighting, it's impossible to see the combination in the dark. So, I keep a lighter in the door compartment...but if you are into electrical, it would be better to have an LED cigarette lighter light, or wire up some underdash lights or something. Or get a little LED light for your keychain.

Good deterrent for drunk driving though.....put your keys in there and lock it with the combination.....no way you are getting your keys out of there in the dark after a couple drinks and "I can drive after a couple drinks" mode sets in...:beer::beer:

G

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Grant,

I see you are from Alberta, where did you get the box from? Do you mind me asking how much $ up here in Canada? PM if you want.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Grant,

I see you are from Alberta, where did you get the box from? Do you mind me asking how much $ up here in Canada? PM if you want.
Bought it from the Tuffy site. If you go to the Tuffy web site, they have a shipping cost estimator....I paid exactly what it estimated, and I did not get charged any duty or anything (I was surprised actually) when Fedex dropped it off.

G

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Good deterrent for drunk driving though.....put your keys in there and lock it with the combination.....no way you are getting your keys out of there in the dark after a couple drinks and "I can drive after a couple drinks" mode sets in...:beer::beer:
G
Has this been tested??

Would a bottle of Jack fit in there?
Looks like your going to have to buy two dozen of the little bottles they serve you on the airplane!!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Got a picture of it open? I am wondering if my Beretta PX4 Storm would fit?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts