JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a heads up, the Tuffy Security Tailgate Enclosure will NOT work with Bestop style tailgate bars on their soft tops. I have the Trektop NX on my 07 JK and the tailgate bar fits way to tight with the tailgate enclosure and even if you did get it snapped in, I don't think you'd be able to get the tailgate bar released with the enclosure installed. Hopefully this will save a few of you my absolute frustration tonight. :pissed:

· Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So I just have to say, I'm very impressed with Tuffy. Their customer service is great. I contacted them and told them what the situation was and they responded to my email the same day. Asked questions and even had one of their product development techs contact me to discuss a possible solution/future modification to allow it to work with the bestop tailgate bar like on the new Trektop NX where the plastic brackets are attached to the tailgate bar. I gave him some suggestions as to what I thought might work, and I think its possible they may revise the design in the future. Also was pretty impressed when Tuffy contacted me and said it was backordered and wouldn't be ready to ship for another two weeks and then contacted me like 3 days later and said it had shipped! They also are going to allow me to return it for full refund. Here's to Tuffy for great customer service and response times :beer:

· Registered
85 Posts
Now that's standing behind a product ... some the company makes an after market part that screws with yours and you issue a full refund... way to go tuffy

· Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was pretty impressed that they actually took the time to have a product design tech contact me to try to come up with a possible solution as well. That shows they truly are interested in customer feedback and its nice to know they try to make changes or at least listen to their customers to accommodate for other popular mods.

· Registered
3 Posts
Hey, sorry to resurrect a 6 month old thread, but I just got a tailgate enclosure for my 2011 unlimited. I also just got the trektopNX installed. I don't see any special provisions on the tailgate unit for the crappy bestop bar. I haven't gotten it all installed yet, though. I don't want to get started, then find out I need more parts and have to stop part way through, and get pissed in the process.

· Premium Member
2,533 Posts
Talk about some good customer service, hopefully they got everything worked out.

· Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well actually ironically enough I just spoke to someone at Tuffy about this. You have two options:
1) which sadly enough I discovered after I sent back the enclosure but is really the option I like best, is that you can actually re use the factory tail gate bar and the plastic clips that stay on the back of the jeep. You can just slide the best top bar off the back window and slide the factory one on. I did that anyways and like my top soo much better now. I plan to get a security enclosure again at some point.
2) Tuffy has come out with an option as well that makes the Bestop tailgate bar easier to open. I'll see if I can find the link. http://www.tuffyproducts.com/p-463-tuffy-levers-for-bestop-soft-top-bar.aspx

· Registered
3 Posts
Thanks TopGun. I checked out the link to the Tuffy levers. I'm more inclined to go the route of replacing the awful bestop tailgate bar with an OEM. I don't have one right now, since my Jeep came with only the freedom top.

I was trying to install the Tuffy enclosure last night, but had not removed the tailgate bar first. It just wasn't going to happen. Well, it might have, but it was about 100 degrees in my garage, and I get pissed off and impatient pretty quickly when I'm hot and sweating. So, that likely was a factor in my troubles.

Now, I just need to track down an OEM tailgate bar - hopefully for less than dealership prices.

· Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks TopGun. I checked out the link to the Tuffy levers. I'm more inclined to go the route of replacing the awful bestop tailgate bar with an OEM. I don't have one right now, since my Jeep came with only the freedom top.

I was trying to install the Tuffy enclosure last night, but had not removed the tailgate bar first. It just wasn't going to happen. Well, it might have, but it was about 100 degrees in my garage, and I get pissed off and impatient pretty quickly when I'm hot and sweating. So, that likely was a factor in my troubles.

Now, I just need to track down an OEM tailgate bar - hopefully for less than dealership prices.
Anytime. I try to share info as I figure these things out haha. At least it might save someone some of my frustration. Luckily Tuffy was easy to work with. They have great customer service, and since I was the first to report the compatibility problem I spoke with one of their engineers about possible ways to make it work and or possibly change the design a bit to accommodate the Bestop tailgate bar. The Tuffy levers are their solution and I'm sure they work fine, I've just always hated the Bestop tailgate bar so when I had a revelation and discovered the factory one just slid on the Bestop rear window I was really happy.

You might be able to find someone here or on Craigslist who is willing to sell theirs cheap say if their factory soft top broke or ripped or they replaced it with an after market top.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.