JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since I'm putting an Atlas transfer case in, I decided to upgrade the plastic console with a Tuffy Security Console. After getting the first one home, I found shipping damage, along with the damage I noticed lots of bubbling paint, more on that later. I took the console back to where it was purchased and got another with absolutely no hassle. 4 Whhel Parts.

I got the second one home and after a couple of weeks pulled it out of the box to assemble and trial fit when I noticed this console also had the blistering bubbles of paint forming, and lots of them. I know from years of working on aircraft this usually means corrosion under the paint. So I poked at one and sure enough the paint in the blistered area flaked off to revel a big ole spot of rust. Keep in mind the entire counsel is covered with these blisters. Those of you who paint, with more than a spray bomb, know that a good finish is dependent on the surface prep.

So my solution is to strip and refinish this already expensive console myself, oh boy looking forward to this project! Naw, screw it, I'll have it line Xed.

The purpose of this thread is not to complain or bash, just to let others know what I have found with two of these units. I have emailed Tuffy to let them know what I found, now it's up to them to tighten Quality Control.

Attachments

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update...

Received number three this weekend and I will be taking it back for a refund, strike three!

This one has only minor corrosion issues that I could live with, but the unit is bent due to piss poor boxing. I do have to say the folks at 4 Wheel Parts have been phenomenal through out this whole process, same can't be said for the Tuffy people!

I think I'll just stick with the stock unit!

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Imagine that, a pilot bitchin'

In all serious I would be shittin' about that too. Another pilot bitchin'. Can't believe three have had the same issue, that sucks

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Every time I bitch about my day, my welder buddy tells me about his day welding pipe on a roof when it's a 105 degrees outside. Being a pilot doesn't suck as much as we think..........:thefinger:

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

In all serious I would be shittin' about that too. Another pilot bitchin'. Can't believe three have had the same issue, that sucks
Bitchin, really? You want to put shit in your jeep go ahead, but I felt our community should know about my experience, go back to cleaning your little Falcon!

·
Registered
291 Posts
I had the same rust problems with the Tuffy security console insert. After returning the second one I purchased the Bestop one and I'm very pleased with it. Tuffy needs to review their quality control systems because they are failing.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had the same rust problems with the Tuffy security console insert. After returning the second one I purchased the Bestop one and I'm very pleased with it. Tuffy needs to review their quality control systems because they are failing.
What really sucks about this, is the fact that they are made right here in the USA! China, yeah I would expect this type of quality, but not from a made in the USA.

·
Comfortably Numb
12,289 Posts
What really sucks about this, is the fact that they are made right here in the USA! China, yeah I would expect this type of quality, but not from a made in the USA.
Too many Dem. attitudes in QC Dept mayhaps? Aw fuck it, where's my check?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts