JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1) What are your recommendations for a good shop?

I'm needing installation of gears, c-gussets and Artec front truss. I'm sure I can find plenty of places that would be "willing" to do it but just like anyone else, I want it done correctly.

2) What is the typical install time for this?
3) What do you think the price point to be for this?

·
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!
8,956 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Called him up based on your suggestion but unfortunately he doesn't do gears.

Super nice guy who admitted he could probably do them but doesn't quite feel comfortable yet.

Thanks for pointing me in his direction though. I'll probably use him in the future for other things.

·
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!
8,956 Posts
Worth a shot, try to keep it in the family... Did he give you any suggestions!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He suggested Artec for the Truss. I did get a quote from another shop in town but their labor time to put the truss on worried me (1 hour).

For gears, he suggested a few places but told me he is still looking for a shop to refer to.

I called Tucson Differential and left a message...which he mentioned was worth a shot.

I'd like to keep it to competent home-grown businesses that have good reputations among the JK crowd.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the recommendations.

As far as 1 hour for the front truss (not complete armor), is unfair of me to think that is way too little labor time?

·
Vendor
716 Posts
Thanks for the recommendations.

As far as 1 hour for the front truss (not complete armor), is unfair of me to think that is way too little labor time?
Correct shops that do installs usually bill more time than 1 hour.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)
22,098 Posts
Me and Murray will do the whole front armor kit but we insist on new ball joints and new johnny joints on the upper control arm mounts. It is just way easier to do the truss when you replace those. We don't make any money off of this since all the money goes for our annual toys for tots. It takes a full day to do a truss with us. No we don't charge by the hour and fuck off all day either. Its a flat rate whether it takes all day or a day and a half.

For gears Murray knows someone that has been doing gears his whole life and won't kill you on price either. Pm me if you are interested and I will get you his number. But please don't wait too long the heat is coming and I don't feel like doing it when it is 110 degrees out. We did this rear truss last weekend for someone, we did their front truss a month ago. I think total is 15 front trusses now.

·
Mechanic
1,068 Posts
I appreciate the kind words everyone. Unfortunately I do not do gears, and at this time it would be impossible to do a truss at my shop due to the fact that the building is being torn apart for HVAC, foam insulation and reskinning the outside. I wouldn't want a customer's car there and risk damage to it from one of the subs not being careful. All that starts Tuesday.

As far as the truss goes - I recommended Murray as well - probably the best route to go if you can afford to be without your vehicle for a day or two.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Man I love Murray and the boys work.. They will be doing my trusses very soon. Gears I had mine done at 4wheel parts. LLoyds transmission is a hot spot thaat does great work.

·
22,098 Posts
Man I love Murray and the boys work.. They will be doing my trusses very soon. Gears I had mine done at 4wheel parts. LLoyds transmission is a hot spot thaat does great work.
Call me a boy again and I will make sure your gears are Lincoln locked for you. :thefinger:

·
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!
8,956 Posts

·
22,098 Posts

·
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!
8,956 Posts

·
22,098 Posts
Jim, Murray told me that Josh is his favorite toy. I was just a one time fling at Oreganos... :lol:
that fucker gets around.

·
Registered
371 Posts
lmao.. I ment it in a good way... Nice to see you stop by car show..

1 - 20 of 26 Posts