JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Banned
10,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Went and swam the Ichtucknee River w/ Klye and Scott today. Had a great time meeting some new friends face to face, talking jeeps, and checking out some pristine florida. Anyways, here are pics...

The first section of the river is shallow and looks like this for about - I dunno - 45 minutes of swimming. Beautiful!

Kyle Swimming off

Synchronized Fish

The Eel grass undulates as you swim by. For a burnout like myself - it's mesmerizing.

Hard to get pics of the Bass. They know they are camoflauged so they stay near the weeds. Rarely see them stray to the white sandy areas.

·
Banned
10,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Dunno what kind of fish this is. Stays on the bottom.

Close up.

My favorite game to play is swim under the log. This one was too shallow. Some of them are 4' thick dead cypress trees. A real trip to thread the needle 10' down and go under them and through the branches after them.

This one was too shallow too lol

Snails.

Panfish. Bream? Bluegill?

Cool weed.

More Dinner.

·
Banned
10,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I said FUCK YOU!

Kyle

Two turtles swapping spit.

WhatyoutalkinboutWillis?

Entrance to a spring flowing into the river. I learned something about her camera here. You can set the camera for underwater or beach or indoors or a variety of settings w/ their associated filters. The water near the springs is SO GIN CLEAR that the underwater function gives it this strange effect as it adjusts for blue. The water is so clear, it's like using the underwater setting outdoors in full day light. This picture does not come close to giving the water clarity justice. It's a hoax! Freaking beautiful. The pics - all the way to the bottom of the page are similarly tainted - live and learn eh?

·
Banned
10,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Finally a bass out in the open. Saw some bigass lunkers under some vegetation but pics didnt turn out.

Working on his turtle tan...

I swam through this lol..

Apparently these are feral.

Bubble pic...

Gar. Only saw 3 all day. They get big enough to actually be intimidating. Especially when they school.

·
Banned
10,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Kyle doing what you're not allowed to do - harassing the wildlife! lol He caught turtles all day long.

This wasp? was as long as my finger. Never seen such a mean looking bastard.

The next series of pics were taken at one of the two headsprings. It is called the Blue Hole. Is is a 7-8' wide opening about 10' deep that drops in a cone shape to 40'. It is the deepest blue Ive ever seen underwater. Damn near mesmerizing. I took a stab at swimming to the bottom and so did Kyle. After I took my mask off, I felt more comfortable and swam to the bottom, got my obligatory handfull of sand and then barrelled to the surface. Kyle, not to be outdone, matched my dive. Was intense as hell and made me think of the fact that I had not done that free dive in 18 years. Made me feel good to know I can still do some stuff that I did damn near 2 decades ago. This kind of shit goes through your mind when your lungs are screaming heading to the surface. Kyle and I both agreed that we could extend our downtime and depth given daily swims like this. Aint life a bitch?

Scott. I let him borrow my mask. Couldn't let him miss seeing the blue hole. (he didnt wanna use my snorkel lol).

·
Banned
10,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, and how deep is that hole that you're diving into?
40'. Kyle and Myself made it to the bottom. When you get to the bottom - you grab a stone or some sand so you can bring back your trophy. lol.

Made me feel good. Last time I had made it to the bottom of that spring (the blue hole is what it's called) was 1991. So 18 years later I may be a fat bastard but I can still swim! lol.

Did anybody get eatin? Looks like something that could eat you may live in that water
Ive seen gators in that river before. I am sure they saw us today but we didnt see them. It's FL - if there's water and it's fresh - there's a gator in it. You get used to it.

To my knowledge no one has EVER been bitten by a gator in that river. Now otters - sure. They had a problem w/ some badass otters taking a bite out of people a few years ago.

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
awesome pics.

im not a big swimmer. maybe i could get a inner tube for me and one for a cooler and one of you guys could tug me along. im only a buck sixty, so i would add a little more resistance. :laughing:

·
Registered
7,277 Posts
Canon D10. Sumbersible to 33'. Got it for the wife for her birthday. Point and shoot 12megapixel.

cold lol. 69-72º year round. Depends on how close you are to the headsprings.
damn I should get that camera for wheelin :D I've already busted 2 :shaking:

thats not a bad temp, thats they Jersey shore ocean temp in the summer, well 72 if you are lucky

I wanna go swim there, looks so cool, nothing like that in NJ that I know of lol

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Nice iv been diving crystal river and done a good bit of canoeing around the springs.
And yeah tim you need a camera you cant break. I have an olympus that waterproof/shockproof/freezeproof. Its sweet.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts