JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chrysler has released a service bulletin about the fuel spill issue in some 2007 - 2008 JK's. They have extended the warranty on the inlet check valve. If you have this issue you get a free gas tank, if you have paid to have it fixed you can be re-imbursed for the repair. Submit your receipts directly to Chrysler. The extended warranty will show up on a VIP report if your vehicle is covered. The service bulletin is 14-001-11. Build date restrictions apply.

Service Bulletin # 14-001-11, dated February 11, 2011.
Fuel Spit Back During Refueling (Unlimited Time and Mileage Warranty Extension)

Models:
2007 - 2008
Note:
This Extended Warranty Bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with 3.8L engine (sales code EGT) built between March 1, 2007 March 31, 2008.

Repair Procedure:
Replace the fuel tank.

Hope it isn't a repost. If so, :thefinger:

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Interesting .......... thanks for the heads-up. :beer:

How is life up north? You guys get all settled in?

Anthony

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting .......... thanks for the heads-up. :beer:

How is life up north? You guys get all settled in?

Anthony
Things are going great up here! I'm actually hoping for a promotion that will move me way south, to West Palm Beach, FL. How's the Hemi?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Things are going great up here! I'm actually hoping for a promotion that will move me way south, to West Palm Beach, FL. How's the Hemi?

Hemi is doing great. Just went over the 2k mile marker, and no issues so far! *knock on wood*

Anthony

·
Registered
961 Posts
I wonder if they would let me into their shop so I can pound the dents out of my skid plate before they drop the new tank in.:laughing:

·
Registered
440 Posts
I wonder if they would let me into their shop so I can pound the dents out of my skid plate before they drop the new tank in.:laughing:
I am thinking the same thing but the plate would be dented back just about as soon as I go play on my log pile. They are doing the evaluation process on my Jeep now. There is a diagnostic process they go through. Will take at least another day of eval since it starts by filling the tank and the next step involves a nearly empty tank.

I may take the opportunity to repaint the skid if it needs it. My shop is pretty lenient about me being in there pounding on stuff. They like "Lucy". The assistant shop manager and one of the mechanics wheel. This helps.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Can anybody elaborate on this evaluation process? Mine (2007 and way past warranty) has only spit up a couple/few times. I dont think it really is this issue and probably just the pumps at the time. I wouldnt mind a new tank though since my sending unit seems to be a little jacked up.

I also wonder what they will do in instances where the tank skid is so mangled that they wouldnt be able to put a straight gas tank on it. I seriously think mine would REQUIRE some pounding out to be able to fit it back up there with a new tank. So, what are you guys finding out at the dealer?

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Does anyone have a link to where the TSB/warranty information is? My dealer hadn't heard of this issue yet and asked me to bring the printout in when I come to my appointment. I have googled it and looked on nhtsa and still cant find it.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Does anyone have a link to where the TSB/warranty information is? My dealer hadn't heard of this issue yet and asked me to bring the printout in when I come to my appointment. I have googled it and looked on nhtsa and still cant find it.
Your dealer can and should do a simple search in their computer for the tsb number posted above. Mine did and an appointment is scheduled. I'd they can't find it, I'd find a new dealer.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Your dealer can and should do a simple search in their computer for the tsb number posted above. Mine did and an appointment is scheduled. I'd they can't find it, I'd find a new dealer.

Well, he actually looked into it after I spoke with him and called me back very quickly but I would still like to see it so I know what to expect when I go in. He never said whether it is a covered repair since I am out of warranty so that is a big concern of mine.

·
Official Monkey Business
12,215 Posts
Emissions is covered well beyond your standard coverage. I’ve read that this is an EPA rule that manufacturers have to adhere to.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Well, he actually looked into it after I spoke with him and called me back very quickly but I would still like to see it so I know what to expect when I go in. He never said whether it is a covered repair since I am out of warranty so that is a big concern of mine.
It was published on a few forums as being an "extension" of the warranty to cover the problem.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Emissions is covered well beyond your standard coverage. I’ve read that this is an EPA rule that manufacturers have to adhere to.
I had asked if this would be covered under emissions (prior to the service guy learning of the actual TSB) and he said it isn't an emissions issue. He emissions only covers cats and related sensors. I agree that it should be covered since it is clearly an environmental issue.

It was published on a few forums as being an "extension" of the warranty to cover the problem.
I have seen that but we all know how dealers look at information found on forums....there HAS to be something official out there for this repair.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Mine does this occasionally but on the door sticker it says mfg date April 2008. Sucks.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I got the letter today from Chrysler, and I am the third owner of this 2008, and I bought it from a chevy dealership. I am assuming the cost is covered by them based on the first line of the letter
" This letter is to inform you that the warranty period on certain 2007-2008 model year Jeep Wrangler vehicles has been extended to include lifetime coverage to repair a certain condition that may occur duing refueling of the vehicle. Our records show that you either own or lease one of these vehicles affected by this lifetime warranty".
If anyone has any questions the letter gives the number 1-877-426-5337

:beer: to Chrysler for finally making this right. (hopefully)

·
Registered
258 Posts
Mine is manufactured in 2/07 and it just started doing it regularly the last few fill-ups... I'd like to know what makes mine different being made the MONTH BEFORE the dates they are warrantying these on. Sucks x 2.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts