JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey yall, so I'm getting ready to swap the jk over to 3 link. I got the barnes4wd truss with the link mount up top. My question Is does the rear truss absolutely have to be welded to the differential to hold up. I see the RK mount bridges the diff and doesn't require welding other than the tubes. I fully understand the concept of welding to the diff and I know it would give it considerably more strength. Reason for going this route is I live in alaska and the only welder around quoted me almost $1k just to weld the truss on. I can weld, I just don't know how to weld cast and I'm not comfortable testing my skills on my axle so welding to the tubes isn't an issue.

Rig is an 08 jku on 37s.

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
You don't have to weld the bridge( its not a truss) to the cast section. If you want extra reinforcement you can go with a fabricated steel diff cover and make it bolt to the bridge. The more important welding part is the upper frame mount which has been documented to break at the welds and this fact was covered up by RK after reports of the cracked welds from a poorly designed bracket. The 3 link is not a good kit with poor geomoetry and loose feel and RK is not a good company, sorry you got taken on the lift.

·
Registered
8,374 Posts
Thanks for the info, although I'm not sure what you mean by being taken on the lift.
He has a major hard on for RK so when you mentioned them, he probably didnt really read your post to see that you arent running an RK kit, just comparing to them because you are converting to 3 link.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He has a major hard on for RK so when you mentioned them, he probably didnt really read your post to see that you arent running an RK kit, just comparing to them because you are converting to 3 link.
I see. Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts