JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never had steering issues at all. Today, after a short drive, I got back in my Jeep and immediately noticed the steering seemed "stiff". At first, I thought the power cable for my GPS had become wrapped around it (which has happened once before), but it wasn't that.. It also makes a click/crunching sound. It also feels like the power steering is gone - it's much more difficult to turn the wheel and it doesn't recenter like it used to. It will at speed, but when just creeping along, it doesn't "whip" back like it used to..

I was thinking maybe the clockspring - the airbag light has been on for almost a year now but I didn't think a broken clockspring would create "resistance" to turning the wheel. I looked under the hood and it looks like the steering shaft/linkage is tweaked. It seems to be coming out of the engine wall at an angle and you can see at the u-joint it is at quite a sharp angle. Is that normal?

Any ideas what could be wrong??

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
The problem your describing sounds very familiar.....mine also makes a weird clunk sound, I know my clock spring is broken! I've got to look at my steering linkage tonight.....hopefully someone can shed some light on the problem!

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The problem your describing sound very familiar.....mine also makes a weird clunk sound, I know my clock spring is broken! I've got to look at my steering linkage tonight.....hopefully someone can shed some light on the problem!
One update to mine - I'm pretty sure the clockspring is at least part of my issues. I just noticed the cruise control went out. The horn still works, though and I hear that is another symptom of the clockpring going out - but maybe not always?

I did some reading last night and many people have had success replacing the upper and lower intermediate shafts (and some had no luck with this solution). They also noted the problem worsens when the vehicle is warmed up - theory being that the metal expands (being so close to the manifold).

Mine is literally "junk" crunching around in the steering wheel - it's coming from right inside where the airbag is.. Like my clockspring exploded and is just grinding around in there.. Not sure why that would make the steering "stiff" though..

·
Registered
911 Posts
Mine steering is quite but it seemed like it died a few times off roading this weekend.
It seemed like the power steering wasnt working at all. I topped off the fluid but i think it boiled over.
One time it looked like it had bubbles in it.
Guess im gonna keep a eye on it. hope you find out whats wrong with yours.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.