JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

We made a day out of driving to Aspen, over Pearl Pass and into Crested Butte. The weather was perfect for the most part, but the top of the pass at 12,700 feet was cold and windy! The trail was a lot of fun, challenging enough that you had to pick good lines and I even had to engage both lockers on some wet rocks at the start. There was a good deal of water running off the mountain making for plenty of chances to get the Jeep wet, it even rained a little on the way down as well.

What was really funny was that on the way down on the Crested Butte side we ran into a guy in a Red Toyota pickup, named Josh.... we actually met him on Black Bear pass last year (where it was incredibly cold and windy) and he remembered us! Too funny! :laughing:

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
very cool video. love the drone shots
I feel like my Drone to GoPro ratio was off... I wanted more aerial shots, but it was super windy on the Pass and there was no way I dared fly! My Phantom would have ended up in Kansas! :laugh:

thnx for sharing; looks like a great day riding trails ....:jeep2:
Appreciate it!

That looks like a beautiful trail, should have ran it over the weekend but went down to Black Bear.
Meh, I think you made the right call! Was there snow on Black Bear? I heard it was closed 2 weeks ago due to snow. :surprise:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Meh, I think you made the right call! Was there snow on Black Bear? I heard it was closed 2 weeks ago due to snow. :surprise:
No snow, it was spitting rain when I first started heading up. The big problem was I ran in to a bunch of traffic. There was a group of 10+ rigs that let me play through right before the descent but once I got to the steps there was a backup. Another group of 10+ toyotas were heading down, and from what one of the guys ahead said a guy in a tacoma needed to be spotted almost the entire way down. Took almost 2 hours.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No snow, it was spitting rain when I first started heading up. The big problem was I ran in to a bunch of traffic. There was a group of 10+ rigs that let me play through right before the descent but once I got to the steps there was a backup. Another group of 10+ toyotas were heading down, and from what one of the guys ahead said a guy in a tacoma needed to be spotted almost the entire way down. Took almost 2 hours.
Good to know, thanks for the trail intel! Hitting traffic on those trails sucks, been there.... it gets old, fast.

Funny about the Tacoma.. must have been from Texas. :wink2:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Good to know, thanks for the trail intel! Hitting traffic on those trails sucks, been there.... it gets old, fast.

Sadly, no, saw the Tacoma at the gas station just out of town and it was a CO plate. Heard him and a few others talking about running Imogene, so I gassed up grabbed a snack and headed out so I didn't get stuck behind them on that as well.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts

Sadly, no, saw the Tacoma at the gas station just out of town and it was a CO plate. Heard him and a few others talking about running Imogene, so I gassed up grabbed a snack and headed out so I didn't get stuck behind them on that as well.
Colorado. Texas largest State Park. :thefinger:

·
Registered
21 Posts
This looks awesome!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
5 Posts
Great video. Loved the drone shots and the soundtrack. Was thinking of taking the family there in September. Do you think a stock rubicon will do fine (no lift)? I usually do those trips on a bike ( like the guy you took video off), but just bought a rubicon so i can share this amazing placed with the wife and kids

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Great video. Loved the drone shots and the soundtrack. Was thinking of taking the family there in September. Do you think a stock rubicon will do fine (no lift)? I usually do those trips on a bike ( like the guy you took video off), but just bought a rubicon so i can share this amazing placed with the wife and kids
Glad you liked it! I think a stock Rubicon would be fine, the hardest part was on the Aspen side and right at the beginning. Just pick your line carefully and you ought to be fine, or run it from the Crested Butte side and go down the difficult section.

I also ride, love seeing a place on the bike then loading up the Jeep and taking the wife out there later on.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts