Votes: 13 54.2%
  • Sell the hardtop and buy the Trektop NX

Votes: 11 45.8%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So after ready many threads and posts saying the Trektop NX is a great top I'm thinking of ordering one. My dilemma is, should I sell the hard top to get the NX? or is the NX more of a summer top that may not hold up over the next 3-5 years or so?

I'd really love to sell my hardtop and not be out of pocket for the trektop NX, but for those of you who have the NX, would you suggest I keep my hardtop?

For any of those in South Texas or AZ, NM, how is the top during the summer? Any worse than the factory soft tops at heat transfer?

I'd like to here some 1st hand observations regarding HOT & cold weather comfort levels and HWY sound levels / flapping of the top.

I really appreciate your input

·
Premium Member
1,131 Posts
The NX is a great top, but it's a soft top. In my experience, soft tops last anywhere from 5 years to 10 years depending on how well you care for them. I'm sure there are soft tops out there that are 20 years old, I've just never seen them. My OEM soft top was 5 years old and looked worn. I practically gave it away a few weeks ago to a forum member from Greensboro, NC.

Also, I've never been a fan of hardtops. My wife has one on her 2011 and loves it. I bought my 2008 with a hardtop-only option since Rubicons were scarce in my neck of the woods and I took what I could get. I sold my hardtop the first week I had it and immediately bought a used soft top from an '07. Haven't looked back and never regretted the swap. I sold my hardtop for $1500 back in 2008, which is like $4500 in today's dollars. You could almost buy 3 NX tops for that and just replace them when they go bad in 5-10 years.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
I sold my hard top to buy the nx and some safari straps , at first I missed it a lot but now that I have had the nx for awhile I would do it again the only thing I miss the most about the hard top is security it gives at times , but the nx has been good the wind noise is quiter then the stock soft top and no leaks at all

·
V8 dreams
3,579 Posts
I have the older trektop, but still love it. I kept my hardtop for long trips where storage space is needed and the security is a plus when I can't park in the garage. And when it gets in the 30s I put the hardtop on. So it's on a few months outta the year

Vandy

·
Registered
385 Posts
Seems to me that it depends on your location. Being that I live in Michigan the winters can be down right Fridgid. Add in the snow,ice,road salt and it pretty much makes it a no-brainer that I have a hardtop during those months.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys. Keep the opinions and insites coming.

I live in San Antonio, Texas. It's HOT more often than cold. There are a few days a year we below freezing. But MANY MANY more days we get to over 100*

·
Registered
45 Posts
I live in a similar climate- Florida. I bought the trektop but am not even going to consider letting go of my hardtop. Most of my reasons have already been stated by other forum members- security, winter months, long trips, life of softops. I just want to be able to have the option of the hardtop. Also adds to resale value. If I see that a hurricane is coming my way, and I need to get the hell out of dodge, I want to be able to put on the hard top, load up the dogs and get OUT without worrying about my softop. Its all about having different options for different situations. KEEP IT!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.