JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it was bound to happen. I got my first real trail damage, not counting skid plates and scuffs. The Georgia Trailriders took our monthly trip last weekend. We went to Morris Mountain in Alabama. It was about a 2-1/2 hour drive from my home outside Atlanta. It was also the maiden voyage pulling my camper to a trail ride.

We got there Friday night and set up camp. Some of the others got there early and got some riding in on Friday. Saturday morning we wake up and eat breakfast. Now it's time to hit the trails. We line up about 20 rigs and the plan is to do a run with everybody before splitting up into smaller groups. It rained for a couple of days prior to going so everything was really slick.

Back on track. About 15 minutes into the first run, we came upon the rock garden. Of course, I had my dander up and had to go ahead and hit it. Well, I made it through the rock garden, but I was done for the weekend. A rock dented and mangled my rear drive shaft. I headed back to camp and took the shaft out. I probably could have wheeled with it for the rest of the weekend, but I didn't want to mess anything up.

This is where the fun begins. One major draw back in dragging a camper four wheeling is when something on the Jeep breaks. Nobody in our group was set up to pull a camper, so I pulled it home in front wheel drive. The Jeep did fine and I made it home without incident, but I did get my front diff hot enough to spew some oil out of the vent tube. I hope I didn't mess anything up and I will pull the cover, inspect the gears and replace the oil before I drive it anymore. I plan to regear in a month or two anyway.

So I ordered my new JE Reel 1350 shaft yesterday. I only ordered the rear, but plan on eventually replacing the front also.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
i got some shots of you at the Rock Garden mike. Ill have to get them up today after work. Sorry to hear about your DS though, i tried to keep of the rock but everything being so slick didnt help much. If i had a 4dr i would of let you borrow my rear DS for the tow home!

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jeremy, but I probably wouldn't have let you do that. I wouldn't have wanted to risk you breaking something on your Jeep because I broke something.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts