JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thinking about swapping an automatic transmission into my jeep. can anybody tell me what parts are needed to do the swap? part numbers would be awesome! Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
almost forgot - was looking at ebay and it seems like the tj and the liberty used the same 42rle as the Jk. can somebody confirm this?

·
Registered
774 Posts
A tranny, torque converter and your computer reprogrammed.

Try to find a wreck and get everything from there.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
why are you swapping? i love my 6spd
i probably won't swap...at least not until i do a hemi swap. i was just thinking about it and curious what was involved. Altho i do have repeated problems with my throw-out bearing...

·
Registered
199 Posts
If your going to swap in a Hemi you want a different transmission. The 42RLE will not handle the power. Get the Hemi and transmission together.

The usual one is something like 545RFE. Plus it's a 5 speed.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have you considered just selling yours and picking up a similar year/miles auto?
i have too many dents and scratches (trail damage) on mine to sell it...i wouldn't get a decent coin for it. plus, it's paid for - if i would trade it or sell it i'd have payments.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Oh what the hell is that crap above my post...sheesh!

If your going to swap in a Hemi you want a different transmission. The 42RLE will not handle the power. Get the Hemi and transmission together.

The usual one is something like 545RFE. Plus it's a 5 speed.
They make a stick to mate up with the hemi? Did not know that...that's sexy

·
Registered
11,064 Posts
Oh what the hell is that crap above my post...sheesh!

They make a stick to mate up with the hemi? Did not know that...that's sexy
Not sure about that, surely there is one. But the 545RFE is a 5-speed auto...

·
Openly Hostile
6,981 Posts
The doubler from advanced is making me think about a transmission swap myself. With the many hemi swaps out there you should be able to get a decent deal on a tranny. Hell, the hard part will probably be getting a dealer to flash the computer for it.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Not only would you need the different computer there is a wire in the harness that is missing from the manual trans jeeps. I'm doing the swap right now and had to add the wire in. Dont yell at me for posting this link
http://www.jk-forum.com/showthread.php?t=55111

·
Registered
343 Posts
There is a good percentage of us that can't read that, haha. Want to post the details here?
Will do. I'll start another thread.
Doug

1 - 15 of 15 Posts