JKOwners Forum banner

Transmission options...pro vs con

3K views 24 replies 17 participants last post by  lohchief 
#1 ·
So being that Im in the process of trying to by a new Rubicon Im doing all kinds of research. And now theres a dilema that arises. Right now I drive a TJ with a manual and I love driving around the streets with the stick but when I hit the trails and rocks I sometimes wish I had a auto. And I promised myself when I buy a new jeep I would try out the world of automatics.

After doing some research on the JK's and the tranny options, it seems to be the autos are kinda sluggish and useless when going with bigger tires. And on the other side of the fence Ive been reading alot about the manuals having troubles with "popping" out of gear.

So whats the verdict...what do you all think?"......

#2 ·
Personal preference. I love manuals in MOST cars, but for wheeling I enjoy my time on the trails much better when I'm driving an auto. Depends what's most important to you. It sure does make wheeling a lot more fun for me when I don't have to worry about the manual.

#3 ·
Well i could go with either one and ultimately be happy..manual or auto.

Im just scared to buy a brand new $30k JK with a manual and have this horrible jumping out of gear problem. Seems like the more I read the more people I see with the problem, and the worse it seams. Chrysler is constantly replacing trannys and if you have a lift or other mods they might deny your warranty.

On the other hand I dont want an under powered sluggish automatic.

ugh..what to do..what to do..

#8 ·
not that i dont like it...like i said I could be ultimately happy with either. I been wheeling with the manual in my TJ. And from word of mouth and reading...the automatics have advantage in "rockier" terrain. Figured I would give it a try since I tend to steer towards the rock trails whenever Im out there.

#7 ·
I have found thru my own experience that I enjoy 4 wheelin' much more with an automatic.I believe it delivers a more even range of torque then it's manual counterpart.....jmho.:smokin:

#10 ·
I wanted a 6 speed but the wife was a no go incase she had to drive it, I have 4.10's at the moment but will be going 5.38's when I go up to 35's or 37's and the sluggish auto will not be a concern any longer. As soon as I add the tranny cooler all auto woes should be aleviated. As for the six speed I think there have been just as many complaints of issues but seem harder to fix, pops out of gear, noises, shudder and others but the thing that makes me the happiest that I don't have the 6 speed is the factthat you cannot use the clutch in water or mud and will ruin the disc. I would have never been able to make all the rescues (one being my hard headed mom and her dog) during Ike due to transversing all the high water for days after the storm. I really have not had an issue out of the auto problem wise, it drives better when the o/d button is off but that is no different than leaving the 6speed in 4th or 5th. So not really a complaint just a driving change ie: push o/d button to turn it off in a auto and in a 6 speed you would just keep it out of sixth, same thing.

Don't forget to factor in the hill start assist in the 6speed decision as well, if I were to buy again I would go auto just because of the clutch in the water problem. Many three peddalers do fine but I wouldn't want to risk being towed out and then replacing clutch crap. Good luck tough decision but either way it will still be fun in the end!

#12 ·
:shaking: I have an Auto in my '08 JK rubi, with 33" tires and I wouldn't have a manual --especially in snow

I've got an after mkt cooler and Auto temp gauges, so There's never been any trouble with heat, even pulling my trailer !!

:grinpimp::smokin: JIMBO

#15 ·
I've got a 6sp with 24k miles and wheel the crap out of it.. It's never "jumped" out of gear and I don't remember hearing about anyone else's doing that either... When I buy a new one, it will have a manual as well...

#17 ·
My new Rubi is Jeep #8 for me but it's the first auto I've owned. I don't regret it at all. I used to swear by the stick, vowed never to drive an auto and made fun of people who did...maybe I'm getting old :bawling: I recommend the same as above; drive both and see what you prefer.

#19 · (Edited)
I've got both and I would say that the six speed taught me some things about the auto/3.8 that I didn't know. Our auto is almost two and I always thought it was underpowered and sluggish but I also was concerned about it running 2500 rpm on the highway with od off.

After driving my stock 6 speed and realizing that at 75 I'm running 2500 rpm stock I am no longer worried about the gerbils in the auto wearing out. This engine needs to rev. Push that little button and let her rip.

Go drive both. I enjoy the auto off road and have not had a chance to try the stick. I'm a bit apprehensive but for the way my mind works I'll be much happier with the 6 for the larger tires and mods I want to do. If it ever gets a hemi I'll convert to auto then.

For what it's worth, I read these forums like a priest reads a bible and I've never heard about manuals popping out of gear.

You asked for pro/con and I didn't give it to you:

auto is much nice around town, but it sucks in the hills around here if you don't kill od

There is something about the clutch that I can't get used to. It doesn't seem to have a definite release point. Sometimes it disengages smoothly and other times it feels like Im revving too much and it won't grab.

The auto is a no brain-er where the stick is goin to require some thought on and off the road.

The stick proides a much more intimate driving experience IMO.

I don't have a preference at this point and I can see the beauty in both. I've also owned two auto and two stick TJs.

#20 ·
I have never had an auto until the 10 Rubi. I thought it was sacrilege to ever own an auto jeep. I still have my yj which is manual so now I have the best of both. I drive a lot for work and the auto is a godsend in traffic. It is not at all sluggish rolling the 35s, I do have a superchips, but before it was installed, i was pleasantly surprised that there was not as much a loss of power as everyone says. Yesterday I started the yj but forgot about the clutch pedal. Downside is that the wife can drive it, great if she is a dd on a night out. I let her drive it yesterday but it was too big for her, thank god.

#21 ·
if i could do it again i would get the Auto nothing but problems with the 6spd. still have not fixed it yet.

#22 ·
Two of my last 3 Jeeps were Manuals. I sometimes miss the versatility of a manual driving on mountain roads.

But off-road, especially rock crawling, is a different matter entirely; the auto flat out kicks ass. Watching the guys (even more experienced than me) rolling backward and stalling out on the extreme stuff is normally where carnage occurs. With the auto there is no more backward rolls or stalling. Very smooth through the challenging rocks. Now I realize why the pro rock crawlers all went auto.

After superchips and re-gear, I find the power fine. Just make sure you turn the overdrive off when you run the sand dunes!

Its all autos for me from now on, especially is they come out with a more powerful motor.

#23 ·
You'll run yourself ragged reading complaints, because that's just about all there are. You never read about all the good ones because nobody makes a poll askin "How many have had good service from their Jeep?" The polls are always "How many have had trouble with...?" That's a magnet for bad stories. The real answer is, get what you want, because the majority of both types don't have problems. One thing you might want to keep in mind....with the automatic, it's a good idea to add an auxilliary transmission cooler. Good luck and keep us posted.

#24 ·
I would much rather have the automatic so I think Im gonna keep bugging the dealer to find me one that has other options I want. I know exactly what your talking about with the 'rollback" with a manual on big rocks ans stuff. Its sucks!,lol.
And I know regearing will fix the problem, but i dont feal like regearing brand new jeep that i just paid 30+ for ...at least not for a little while.

Idk if Im allowed to link to another forum on here but Ill show you guys the thread about the manual popping out of gear.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/6-speed-popping-out-of-1st-gear-35605.html

Anyway, thanks for all the input, and opinions. Much appreciated :beer:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.