1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a letter from Chrysler and it stated;
Customer Satisfaction Notification L05
Transmission Oil Cooler Lines

They are recommending the following improvements be performed on some 2008 and 2009 model year Jeep Wrangler equipped with a 3.8l engine and an automatic transmission.

The transmission cooler lines on my vehicle may weep transmission fluid at the hose-to-tube crimp joints.

They will replace all lines free of charge.

I have yet to do this but wanted to get this out there for anyone that might be having this problem or to see if this may be tied to the jk "catching on fire" problem some people have had.

Dont know if this will help anyone other than a fyi.

Keep Jeeping!

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Hell, everything in the engine bay is inadequate for the job...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks for the post. Seems like there has been a lot of interest on this board about tranny hose line replacement due to leaking at the joint mentioned.

Customer Satisfication Notice L05. Chrysler sure has there way of getting around a down-and-out recall or warranty replacement issue, eh?

·
Registered
392 Posts
just had my transmission lines replaced today at the dealership. I got the letter last week.

·
Registered
60 Posts
makes me feel better about my 12 only having potential head problems (for now)

·
Registered
494 Posts
The seeping transmission lines and the Jeep bursting into flames trick are two separate issues.

My hoses were leaking just enough to get them wet but not drip. Chysler replaced them at no charge.

The fires were caused by the automatic transmission overheating because the transmission cooler is too small. The trans would heat up so much that the fluid inside would boil, spewing out of the transmission vent tube, Sometimes, this would spray onto the exhaust and cats. This would cause the fluid droplets to vaporize and combust.

Poof. There goes your jeep. It would burn so fast, the fire department would only be able to put out the grass fire next to the road. The Jeep was toast.

Chrysler's band-aid was to warn you your trans was overheating with the infamously cryptic "HOT OIL" message. Translating the corporate-speak, we find that this means you should stop whatever you are doing because if you don't, your vehicle may burst into flames.

Apparently, letting the insurance companies replace a few burned Jeeps was deemed better than replacing or adding auxillary tranny coolers to a hundred thousand vehicles.

·
Official Monkey Business
12,215 Posts
Oh great, I have something else to keep an eye on. Thanks for the heads up:beer:

·
Registered
599 Posts
Yeah, I noticed the weeping from the transmission cooler lines the other day while I installed a Fox steering stabilizer. I'm lazy, think I'll wrap some duct tape around it. LOL! :thefinger:

Already have installed an after-market transmission cooler. $80 at AutoZone and 1 hour of DIY work.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Stopped by my dealer today to get the stupid plastic bushing on the transfer case shifter... another poor quality desig/part. I asked one of the service reps about this. Basically its just a replacement with the same crappy parts.
Anyone use some AN fittings and soft line to replace the entire set up?
I'm thinking about doing that and running the new lines straight to an aftermarket cooler. Then I would use the stock trans cooler to expand the power steering cooler.
Thoughts?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts