JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So driving on the highway yesterday coming back from the US picking up jeep parts, and the clutch pedal started to lose all resistance in the first 3" of pedal travel, Once I got to the border I had to press the pedal all the way to the floor to get it in gear, and ended up stalling several times just getting up to the border guard. managed to get just across the border and then that was it, could not get it in gear, clutch straight to the floor. Bell housing was leaking from the openings, there was both some dark looking fluid as well as lighter colored one, I'm not sure what either is, i was under the impression ATF4 was red? anyways ended up having it flatbedded to the deal who is not open till tuesday.

does anyone have an ideas about what could be the issue? I dont' wanna get screwed by the dealer....If it matters this was my first somewhat long trip 2hrs, highway driving with my new 37's. thanks all:beer:

·
Official Monkey Business
12,215 Posts
X2 on slave cylinder leak.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Same thing happened to me on last Monday. I lost the whole clutch, slave cylinder, TOB, some pressure plate thing, and everything else involved with the clutch. If you have less than 12k miles, the whole thing should be covered under warranty, if not the slave and tob should be covered under the bumper to bumper thing (from what I've been told).

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Same thing happened to me on last Monday. I lost the whole clutch, slave cylinder, TOB, some pressure plate thing, and everything else involved with the clutch. If you have less than 12k miles, the whole thing should be covered under warranty, if not the slave and tob should be covered under the bumper to bumper thing (from what I've been told).
shit that is not good news....i am out of my bumper to bumper warranty but still have powertrain, hopefully that will cover it..... :shaking:

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
You sure you lost the whole clutch, or is that what they told you? Sounds like they just upsold a clutch to me. The slave will not "just take out" a clutch. If they replaced the slave, then you drove it to find chatter/clutch slipping..then thats possible. But if they just up and told you that you needed that without replacing just the slave first, i think they saw you comin'.

Was it all warranty?

·
Registered
205 Posts
slave cylinder X4 and mine went out after warrenty its only around 100 dollars for the part and an hour or 2 install

·
Registered
169 Posts
anything that has to do with the powertrain is covered under your powertrain warranty. this includes transmission and all clutch parts.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
anything that has to do with the power train is covered under your power train warranty. this includes transmission and all clutch parts.
Where did you hear this? I just heard back from the dealer who states it is not covered under power train, which doesn't make any sense since it controls the clutch!! I hate chrysler. I don't get it at all, its obviously a known issue yet they won't take responsibility for it.

·
Registered
956 Posts
You sure you lost the whole clutch, or is that what they told you? Sounds like they just upsold a clutch to me. The slave will not "just take out" a clutch. If they replaced the slave, then you drove it to find chatter/clutch slipping..then thats possible. But if they just up and told you that you needed that without replacing just the slave first, i think they saw you comin'.

Was it all warranty?
they replaced the whole thing under warranty. They showed me the clutch, but I have no idea what I am looking at. I posted a thread under dirty laundry with the pics that I took of it. It looked beat to hell, and anyone in the NE can tell you that I was not gentile on the clutch during our rides. I think mine was a combination of shitty driving and shitty clutch.

Sorry for the hijack.

·
Registered
353 Posts
what i have been told is powertrain is internals of motor and transmission nothing external other wise they would have to replace a alternator because it is connected to the engine just my .02 cents good luck X5 on the slave cylinder. :beer:

·
Registered
169 Posts
Alternators are considered parts that wear out over time just like brakes now if the pulley had broken away and just spun freely at an early mileage then it shouold be covered but here's the kicker the dealership decides what milage that is

1 - 14 of 14 Posts