JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, have a 2013 Jku Rubicon, auto trans, stock 3.6, rides on 35s. The other day after a couple hours of driving it started making an occasional thunk - seems to be transmission or driveline related. Does it at least once everytime I drive it. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Any ideas?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Do you have stock drive lines, or after market.

I recently had a clunk that ended up being the rear drive shaft. Replaced under warranty and all is well.

Also the front drive shaft rzeppa joint could be toasted and can make a click/ knock noise.

Does it happen under accelerating or random?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. Stock driveshafts. The boot is a little boogered up right in the middle as if something has scraped it repeatedly, but not at the lowest point, just towards the center closest to the joint in the splines (assuming it has splines like my Samurai?). Makes me wonder if there's something foreign inside the boot and every now and then it binds it up for a split second. Is that an unreasonable thing to imagine here?

Previous owner wheeled it in Utah, I've taken it to the Pismo dunes and done some light trail riding.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure the torn boot in the middle of the driveshaft would cause that sound now that I think about it, but I do see grease splattered on the undercarriage from the tcase boot. Wondering if that's on its way out.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Does the clunk sound like someone taking a rubber mallet and hitting the underside or metal on metal ?

I can only speak about mine but grease was coming out from my rear DS and sounded like a “thud” sound on take of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tough call, but I'd have to say a little of both. I didn't respond to your earlier question - this tends to happen while at speed, and I haven't found any rhyme or reason to it in terms of RPMs/speed/while accelerating. It hasn't really happened while coming off a stop, and it hasn't happened under deceleration.

·
Registered
2014 JKU, 35's, 3" Lift
5 Posts
If the boot has a tear and there's evidence of grease outside of the boot, then the joint is no longer properly lubricated and it will just get worse. Does the underside look something like this? That's the t-case side of the front driveshaft. Mine was cooked... I decided to give it another chance and rebuilt it with the Teraflex Rzeppa replacement. I've put another 3,000 miles on it since, with some light offroading and it's holding-up nicely. For reference, I have a JKU with a 3" TF lift and all the control arms, trackbars, etc... the angle on the front DS is pretty sharp after a lift and I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did (about 25,000 miles with several trips to the local mountains). The kit is nice and it's a pretty easy rebuild, if your handy and comfortable with doing things yourself.

20190916_093642.jpg

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If the boot has a tear and there's evidence of grease outside of the boot, then the joint is no longer properly lubricated and it will just get worse. Does the underside look something like this? That's the t-case side of the front driveshaft. Mine was cooked... I decided to give it another chance and rebuilt it with the Teraflex Rzeppa replacement. I've put another 3,000 miles on it since, with some light offroading and it's holding-up nicely. For reference, I have a JKU with a 3" TF lift and all the control arms, trackbars, etc... the angle on the front DS is pretty sharp after a lift and I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did (about 25,000 miles with several trips to the local mountains). The kit is nice and it's a pretty easy rebuild, if your handy and comfortable with doing things yourself.

View attachment 364369
That looks just like mine - grease splattered the same way. Watched the install video for that flange. Looks very doable and I have all of the tools already. Will look more into that - thank you very much for the tips.

·
Registered
2014 JKU, 35's, 3" Lift
5 Posts
You bet! My advice for the kit, if you do it yourself...

1. BEFORE you remove the DS, make marks with a sharpie, grease pencil, etc on the Diff to DS and DS to T-Case joints and do your best to realign to the same spots when reinstalling the DS to help minimize any rotational balancing issues
2. A quality pair of snap ring pliers will be worth the investment
3. If you're not used to CV joint bands, practice with a spare

From what I recall, the process is otherwise pretty straightforward.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts