JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 automatic unlimited rubicon with a teraflex 3" full 8 flexarm lift kit, 35" tires and I am going to install Yukon 4.88 R&P.

Should I install a transmission cooler. I have been reading some threads regarding an over heating problem. And if so, any recommendations?

·
Registered
459 Posts
I think they all have a tranny cooler built in. it's just a good idea, at least it was for my '10 to add a secondary. not sure if they fixed any "hot oil" problems with the new motor..

but they aren't expensive. I think I got mine from Summit Racing for around $50

·
Registered
822 Posts
I have a 2014 automatic unlimited rubicon with a teraflex 3" full 8 flexarm lift kit, 35" tires and I am going to install Yukon 4.88 R&P.

Should I install a transmission cooler. I have been reading some threads regarding an over heating problem. And if so, any recommendations?
Save your money. I have a 2013 auto with 37s and 4.88s. I also run an AeroForce gauge which gives me transmission temps. You don't need an aux cooler. The factory cooler is good. My trans temp never run hot.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Save your money. I have a 2013 auto with 37s and 4.88s. I also run an AeroForce gauge which gives me transmission temps. You don't need an aux cooler. The factory cooler is good. My trans temp never run hot.
Im running a similar setup but my Aeroforce gauge doesn't display a trany temp? How did you set yours up? I installed mine about a month ago.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Those of us who don't have a 2012 or newer do have tranny cooling issues. Comes with the territory of having 3.8 with auto. I don't know how things stack up for 2012 and newer but it sounds to be better. If you follow threads be sure to check which driveline is being discussed. Take care.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Ummm yea no...get a better transcooler than the stock one. Check your flow rates, cooling capacity and so on. Youre geared fairly correctly but a trans cooler cost that is better than stock isnt that much compare it to a replacement NAG1 tranny...3.5k

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
if it were mine, i would get the cooler. any cooler in addition to the stock one is an improvement. beat on it offroad... get the jeep in the mud... mud can block the cooling fins if yours is the same as the 07-11 coolers. when the cooler is blocked, the transmission can get hot quick.

as stated. $60-$200 for a cooler versus couple grand for a transmission.

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
Ummm yea no...get a better transcooler than the stock one. Check your flow rates, cooling capacity and so on. Youre geared fairly correctly but a trans cooler cost that is better than stock isnt that much compare it to a replacement NAG1 tranny...3.5k
Can you enlighten the thread on "checking flow rates" and "cooling capacity" ?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
204 Posts
FWIW I have seven transmission coolers. I checked my flow and cooling capacity with a "feel my flow" from smittybilt.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3

·
Registered
822 Posts
Im running a similar setup but my Aeroforce gauge doesn't display a trany temp? How did you set yours up? I installed mine about a month ago.
Well there is a way to make yours display the trans temp, but that is about all you can display. The easiest thing to do now is to contact AeroForce and they will reflash it for you. Contact tech support and get a form for returning it. Send it back and they will install the new flash. The new flash is great - supports a lot of new PIDs. Takes about a week to ten days roundtrip.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
if the aeroforce you have is the same as the one i have in my work truck, you might go through the setup menu and make sure trans temp is selected before you send it back. if you inadvertently skipped it or it was unselected, it wont display.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'll double check. Thx

·
Registered
550 Posts
FWIW I have seven transmission coolers. I checked my flow and cooling capacity with a "feel my flow" from smittybilt.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3
Seven of 'em? Do you have some pictures of it? I'd love to see your setup.

·
Registered
803 Posts

2012+ Wranglers with the Pentastar engine have a better stock transmission cooler which is a separate cooler unlike the coolers on the 3.8L which had been smaller and shared space with the AC condenser.
Furthermore the newer models have the A580 5 speed transmission which is more efficient than the old 42RLE tranny therefore generates less heat.
So with the above changes to the newer models you should be fine without an additional aux tranny cooler.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry for the bump. But I have a question. Can you tell me please if you installed it and did it give an effect? I'm planning to install it on my Jeep and because I have a Yacht and when it's 113 degrees I'm sure that my gearbox is working on the maximals and as I know Jeep doesn't have the best transmissions in the world)) I'm reading now a lot of reviews for transmission coolers and I think that it won't cause a negative effect on my car. I think that in two weeks I'll install it and I'll come with feedback bros.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts