JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally broke down and bought one of Robbie's shiny new radiators for my 5.3 LS and didn't realize the condenser doesn't have a transmission cooler like the stock rad. I was looking for pictures or ideas of what everyone else is doing for a cooler. I don't have any room in the engine bay and I actually wanted a remote oil cooler up front but that might not be happening now, I don't want to block off too much airflow with all these coolers. I read somewhere about cutting the lines and such but I'm not sure what it's getting at.

I did remove a light bar and I'm cutting the bull bar off my AEV bumper cause all they do is collect rust and block air.

Thanks,
Sean

·
Registered
59 Posts
Robbie suggests to use the 2012+ transmission cooler from the JK. It’s an additional cooler that goes in front of the radiator.

I finally broke down and bought one of Robbie's shiny new radiators for my 5.3 LS and didn't realize the condenser doesn't have a transmission cooler like the stock rad. I was looking for pictures or ideas of what everyone else is doing for a cooler. I don't have any room in the engine bay and I actually wanted a remote oil cooler up front but that might not be happening now, I don't want to block off too much airflow with all these coolers. I read somewhere about cutting the lines and such but I'm not sure what it's getting at.

I did remove a light bar and I'm cutting the bull bar off my AEV bumper cause all they do is collect rust and block air.

Thanks,
Sean

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey thanks for the ideas.

The stock 2012 one is about $300 here but I see a lot of aftermarket like B&M etc are about $120. I was worried about blocking too much airflow but I guess that's not really a problem. I already have a small 10"x5" Setrab Oil cooler I was thinking to put below the cross member kind of behind the winch, I only really want to drop about 20 degrees on the oil so it should get enough air there.

I'll go find a tranny cooler now that I know what to look for.

So I take it the lines from the transmission are just cut and hose clamps are all that holds the rubber lines to the hard lines???? I might be using more than one clamp/side:wink2:.

Thanks again,
Sean

·
Registered
288 Posts
Assuming you are running the OEM trans cooler hard lines off the 6L80E pick up a couple of these...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013FFLOG/ref=pe_850140_244881950_em_1p_6_ti

along with a couple of these....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0016IV392/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Then you can take that to an AN fitting of your choice. This provides a factory quick disconnect style fitting for the hardline and makes for a clean install.

I am running the Tru-Cool (a Dana company) M7B cooler on my 6L80 and almost feel that it runs too cool once the ambient temps drop below 50*.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again for all the input.

I found a 5 1/2" x 11" cooler, I hope it's big enough, it does go to -30 C here. I got all the adapters and fittings to do SS lines and AN fittings. The stock hardlines I cut and used these compression fitting that seem pretty solid so I hope they work.

Just need time to finish, not getting much done as a single dad of a 4 year old.:grin2:

Sean

Attachments

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've been searching and can't find anything. Forgot to ask which coolant is best for the new rad, regular green okay??

Thanks,
Sean

1 - 8 of 8 Posts