JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
10,329 Posts
Here's jeepnick's on his 18'. also, you'll probably want to go 10k lb if your rig is heavy. or 7k lb aluminum. he has currie 60's on there and it BARELY fits width wise.

·
Registered
6,228 Posts
How wide are his Currie 60's? I doubt mine would fit on there.

As far as length, I'm sure 18' would be long enough. Heck, mine is only about 17' or so from back of the spare to the tip of the stinger.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep, it's going to have 5,000 lb axles. Just wasn't sure if 18' was long enough but it appears it is. Thanks.

·
Registered
10,329 Posts
How wide are his Currie 60's? I doubt mine would fit on there.

As far as length, I'm sure 18' would be long enough. Heck, mine is only about 17' or so from back of the spare to the tip of the stinger.
no idea. but those are currie 60's with 3.5" bs wheels and 39.5 iroks. if that helps lol.

my trailer (same as nicks) is widened up front to help accomodate the full width 60.

you can see in front of the fenders where it's been added to.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
18' is plenty long but width between the fenders is the critical measurement. Many trailer that have fenders are around 80" wide an you may not be able to fit between them. A jeep with wide tires or spacers can easily be 81"+

A shorter trailer should be lighter too which will keep the load as light as possible. I don't know about your state but Illinois bases the plate fee on the weight bearing of the trailer and requires an inspection twice a year on a trailer gvwr bigger then 5000 lbs

·
Registered
10,329 Posts
18' is plenty long but width between the fenders is the critical measurement. Many trailer that have fenders are around 80" wide an you may not be able to fit between them. A jeep with wide tires or spacers can easily be 81"+

A shorter trailer should be lighter too which will keep the load as light as possible. I don't know about your state but Illinois bases the plate fee on the weight bearing of the trailer and requires an inspection twice a year on a trailer gvwr bigger then 5000 lbs
that's why i went with heavy fenders. I hit em all the time and on larger rigs i have to drive over them.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I've got an 18' with a 83" deck. You NEED to get the wider 83" deck otherwise you'll need to fab some heavy fenders to drive over. I only have less than 2" per side of clearance.

·
Registered
504 Posts
My original car hauler was an 18x83 and while it works it left many things to be desired. With only an 18' trailer it was tough to get my jeep sitting right to get the load distributed correctly. I, at the time, had a 2500 gasser GMC that made my JK made its ass sag on the 18 as I had to get up so far on the trailer. When I bought my 20x83 I could leave my JK directly over the axles with just a couple hundred pounds on the tongue. It pulled MUCH better at all speeds and didn't have my truck squatting anymore. IMO I wouldn't buy an 18 go straight for the 20 as the cost is VERY nominal for the difference and ease of towing. I now have a new 3500 duramax and a 26' trailer and again its night and day... Go 20' you wont be disappointed. For a good example, look at that red (assuming) F250 and how much it is squatting. If there was a little more trailer were the jeep could be back a couple feet and directly over the axles that would be a much happier truck. There is no reason for 3/4 ton truck to squat with just a car hauler and a JK.

·
Registered
10,329 Posts
My original car hauler was an 18x83 and while it works it left many things to be desired. With only an 18' trailer it was tough to get my jeep sitting right to get the load distributed correctly. I, at the time, had a 2500 gasser GMC that made my JK made its ass sag on the 18 as I had to get up so far on the trailer. When I bought my 20x83 I could leave my JK directly over the axles with just a couple hundred pounds on the tongue. It pulled MUCH better at all speeds and didn't have my truck squatting anymore. IMO I wouldn't buy an 18 go straight for the 20 as the cost is VERY nominal for the difference and ease of towing. I now have a new 3500 duramax and a 26' trailer and again its night and day... Go 20' you wont be disappointed. For a good example, look at that red (assuming) F250 and how much it is squatting. If there was a little more trailer were the jeep could be back a couple feet and directly over the axles that would be a much happier truck. There is no reason for 3/4 ton truck to squat with just a car hauler and a JK.
the red truck is flexed up on a sewer drain/curb in the front driver and the rear driver is in a pretty big dip in the road (notice it's cobblestone or whatever). that pic is really wierd. that's not how it sits

·
Registered
10,329 Posts
same jeep, same trailer, behind my first half ton tundra. no problems.

it's even better behind nick's 3/4 ton ford. we both have WD hitches though. it just makes life way easier and towing a lot more comfortable.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Here's a shot of the front from
That day, I pulled on the curb to get outta the road as much as possible

It really doesn't sag on the f250
Didn't on my 2500hd Chevy either

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have a couple of questions on trailers. I assume since a 4 door fits well on a 18ft a 2 door will be good on 16ft? I am towing with a 1/2 ton and am looking to buy a wiegh distribution hitch, but I am lost when it comes to knowing what to buy. Roughly how much tongue wieght am I looking at on my 5000lb jk on a 16 ft trailer? What brand/model should I be buying for a w/d hitch?

Thanks Dave

·
Registered
10,329 Posts
someone on a local board just bought this:

Here is my quick over view of the newest trailer I picked up. The PJs buggy hauler is 20' long and 102" wide drive over fenders if you need to. Its 86" in between the fenders unlike most car trailers which are right around 83". Im full width and the tires just scrub the inside of the fenders. I read alot about the powdercoat being bad on these trailers and holy shit the internet was true... It looks like Stevie Wonder and Ray Charles powder coated this thing. Thats the only down fall. The overall quality is really nice. Boxed beams not c channel etc. etc. it is heavy but I guess thats a small price to pay for the overall quality of the trailer.

·
Registered
10,329 Posts
I have a couple of questions on trailers. I assume since a 4 door fits well on a 18ft a 2 door will be good on 16ft? I am towing with a 1/2 ton and am looking to buy a wiegh distribution hitch, but I am lost when it comes to knowing what to buy. Roughly how much tongue wieght am I looking at on my 5000lb jk on a 16 ft trailer? What brand/model should I be buying for a w/d hitch?

Thanks Dave
not all trailers are built the same. you may find a 16' trailer that's well balanced and it works fine. I personally wouldn't go smaller than an 18. but that's just me. keep in mind the dovetail isn't very useful while hauling. so imagine mine without that and you have a 16'

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
for weight distribution on an 18' trailer, could the JK be backed onto the trailer so the motor/heavier front end was closer to the axles? Perhaps this would cause too little tounge weight???

just a thought...

·
Registered
535 Posts
I am genuinely curious as to why people do this. Do you get better gas mileage towing your Jeep behind a larger truck? Do you do this to have more cargo space in the bed of your pickup truck? If so why not get a small trailer to tow behind the Jeep? Is this done to keep the mileage low on the Jeep? Do the upgrades on your Jeep make it illegal to drive on the road?

I really am rather baffled by the logic behind using a trailer to tow your Jeeps around with another truck that looks like it gets far less mileage, especially when towing 10k lbs behind it.

Not judging...just curious.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Also is very helpful if you happen to break something. All you have to do is get it back to the trailer to get it back home.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.