JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Broker by the Minute
3,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Under trailer modification #2 I looked at departure angle. I may even add some up front for dragging the trailer over things but I'm unsure on that one yet. So here is trailer mod #2.

I got some wheels for dragging my trailer over rocks. The frame is strong enough to just drag it over but I figured if I had wheels the frame would last longer, plus I can push the trailer backwards over rocks.

So I tacked these puppies on to test it out for appearance. If you laugh at my welding I'll laugh along with you. One of these days I have to learn how to do this.

So what say you? Keep them or leave them?

This makes my departure angle almost straight up and down once the trailer is resting on the wheels. This also helps clear the tailgate, lights and hinges.

Here is a couple of shots from under neath. I gyrated on the placement of the wheels on the frame and decided to flush them on the inside so I would gain the maximum amount of departure angle.

It may have been nicer to use some larger pneumatic wheels but I think these will do and 6" rubber wheels would have been choice #2.

Note: the installation was done by eyeball and holding them in place and tacking them down. Before I make these permanent I can easily take them off on straighten them out if it's really necessary.

So what do you think?

A

·
0 Posts
Honestly I think you’re better off without them and that they will get so dented up that they won’t roll and will actually hurt your departure angle.

Just my 2 cents ;)

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts
I think they will "hook" stuff. I think you're better off dragging that SOB through the rough stuff.

·
Registered
irate4x4 dot com
1,795 Posts
I think they will "hook" stuff. I think you're better off dragging that SOB through the rough stuff.
especially on one side or the other when it doesn't come off the obstacle evenly. Or they might dig like when you make a wash crossing, instead of roll.

Have you thought about just welding some plate to slide on at the back. That or I've seen some longer equipment trailers with steel pipe inside one another. The outside pipe with an ID just wider that the OD of the inside piece of pipe to act like a roller. It appeared to have a couple of small weep holes in the outside pipe to maybe allow for grease to be injected between the 2 pipes. Worked like a single conveyor roller on the rear of a trailer.

The construction company did this on a couple of their trailers that I noticed and they cut the outside pipe in half so that they could weld a support from the trailer frame to the inside pipe in the middle. So, basically, there was 2 separate rollers.

G

·
0 Posts
I'd leave them off, at least until you find from using it extensively that you are actually dragging often enough to make the modification necessary.

·
Banned
3,226 Posts
I agree with others. I think they are just going to get hooked up, bent or in someway unusable. Besides, effectivley it takes quite abit of departure angle from the tires. I would say just add a steel plate or a couple of rock rail style tubes in the right place to just allow it to slide

·
Registered
587 Posts
I'm going with the majority on this one. Maybe a single really wide roller like what Bestop uses on their bumpers if you are sold on having to have a roller on it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
i would ditch them, if you really wanted to add wheels, i would use your rear side pipes that i assume you slide your jacks into. I would get a bigger rubber tire mounted basically on a pipe that you can slide into those. They wouldn't help in all situations but they would in some and they could be removable.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts