JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After installing my Optronics lights (under jeep for back-up/ spotting), I had them on and noticed the tell-tale smell of burning rubber/ plastic. I could see a small puff of smoke coming from one of them. After turning them off and letting the one to cool down, I disconnected and removed it and found that the black/ neg wire was so hot that it was melting the wire coating around it. I have also noticed that the screw that terminates the neg lead (into the lamp housing) was loose. It is stripped out, so I can not get it tight, however I can solder it in, if it is possible that the loose connection could be what caused it to (short?) melt.(?). The only modification that I did when wiring these up was that I used a different switch and a relay. I can't imagine that either of these modifications are causing the excessive heat. The relay is a 20 amp and the switch is rated at 20 or 25 amps. Would Optronics use wiring that was a lesser gauge than necessary? I dont know what steps to take to remedy the problem....:pissed:

I posted up the picture to help show what it looks like. You cant really see where the neg wire is melted, but its almost at the end ehere the screw is. The large round rubber cover has been pulled back to show the inside. It is beginning to melt as well. :pissed:

Attachments

·
Registered
955 Posts
The loose connection (screw) caused your problem. It caused a high resistance condition and in turn got hot. Fix the loose connection and all will be well again.
Are you using the same gauge wire for the hot and ground? If the ground is smaller that will also contribute to a higher resistance condition.

·
Premium Member
15,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am using the supplied (with Optronics kit) wiring going from the relay to the lights and from the relay to batt & ground. The additional wires...when I added the relay, are the same gauge as used in the kit ( I believe 16 or 18 gauge), except for the added fuse running from the batt to the relay which is a larger diameter...Maybe 12 or 14 gauge.

Thanks a lot John...This help is greatly appreciated.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.