JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy, Folks. So, I am trading my 2009 2-door X for a 4-door. Makes more sense for my family and the 4-door seems to be growing on me. With that I wanted to get the group's feedback on which package I should get on the Unlimited: Sport, Sport S, Sport RHD, Sahara, or Rubicon?

I understand that the Rubicon is the mother of all...but do I need it? Is it better to buy a lower version and then add on a bunch of mods? Is there a huge difference in the gearing?

Background: I will be using the new JK as my daily driver but want to get out and play in it as often as possible. I am selling the old CJ to buy something more practical for my son and I need this Jeep to be my reliable daily + my toy! I want to be able to do some of the local trails but also do the Paulo Duro Canyon run with the Jeep Jamboree.

Thanks in advance for any/all advise. Cheers!

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
Depends on the deal you get, your intended modifications and trail use.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Go with the Rubicon :) maybe im partial but any way you go cant be wrong . Mine is a DD also i hate the gas mileage but knew this when i got in the game. Looks like u do palo duro run so we should wheel sometime

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Sounds to me like you could buy a Rubicon and wouldn't have to modify it to do what you want to do. Maybe a 2.5" lift and some larger tires.

·
ADDICTION II build begins....
3,833 Posts
like everyone else said....depends on what you want to do with it and how much money you have in the bank. This is our 3rd Rubicon....first was totaled in car accident 10 days after we bought it, second one we lifted/bigger tires/snorkel and winch/mount on stock bumper, third came with the lift but put new wheels/tires/front and rear bumpers/etc.

If you have money for the lift, tires, gears, bumpers, etc then go with a lesser model and find someone who has a front D44 available. If you have the skills, you could build your own Rubicon probably for less than you would pay for a new one.

If you dont have the money to do all of this right now, you would be better going with a Rubicon because you would already have everything there....granted, you would be paying forit, the installation, and a little profit to the dealer in the sticker price.

Good luck with your decision!

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
go with the Sport RHD :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All great input - Thanks to you all. I went with the Unlimited Sport S package with the 17" wheels and the 3.73 gearing ratio. I know it is not "fully baked" off the lot but it gives me all that I need as a daily and still provides me more than stock functionality offroad. I already have many plans...but still quite content as it is!

Cheers!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts