JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious, when I measure my front axel the passenger tire is about half an inch further from the frame than the driver side and in the rear I'm about a quarter inch further from the frame on the driver side. My Jeep tracks funny at speed. My 35 inch mtrs are pretty worn so I know that could be part of the problem. Do you think those measurements are bad enough to cause problems?

·
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)
22,099 Posts
Just curious, when I measure my front axel the passenger tire is about half an inch further from the frame than the driver side and in the rear I'm about a quarter inch further from the frame on the driver side. My Jeep tracks funny at speed. My 35 inch mtrs are pretty worn so I know that could be part of the problem. Do you think those measurements are bad enough to cause problems?
Yes, is it just the fronts that are worn and across the whole surface, on the inside of the tire, outside of the tire?

Do you have an adjustable trackbar?

Just an FYI I run my front about 1/4 to 1/2 inch to the driver side. Tired of the driveshaft hitting the transmission.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is some uneven wear from driving on worn out ball joints. I do have adjustable trackbars. Trying to get by for a little bit. I have to get wider wheels (still on stock rims with spacers) and then tires. Probably going to go with Cooper stt pros because they are a much better price and I've heard positive feedback online and from people that run them

·
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)
22,099 Posts
Worn out ball joints probably more than anything did your tires in.

I have the SST Pro's and they work good. I got 4 years out of my last set of the regular STT's. They do chunk in rocks though.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took it to a shop and they said nothing was wrong. I drove several thousand miles and finally just had new ball joints put in. It didn't fix all of my issues, but I noticed an immediate difference. Several thousand more miles and the tires are starting to even out a bit, but I'd guess they are all somewhere in the 20-30% tread so new tires soon

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
Since you have adjustable track bars by all means center your axles under the frame. Try to get them within about 1/8" side to side. Measure from the frame to the inside sidewall of the tires. Be sure not to measure tire lettering and have the tire pressures reasonably close.

FWIW, I once measured axle centering on a random sampling of stock JKs on our dealers lot. Consitently the axles were set about 1/8" further from frame centerline on the track bar mount side (I.E., on the driver side in front. passenger side rear). This makes sense as the rigs were unloaded. Add a driver and a full tank of fuel, the vehicle will squat a bit and pull the axles to the center.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts