JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The JK I ordered finally made it to KZ build code.
I was finally able to get the window sticker link to work for me and I seen something missing.
I told the salesman I wanted the 3.73 gears and the Trac-lok.
Looking at the window sticker I see the Trac-Lok but not the 3.73 gears.

Does ordering the Trac-Lok automatically give you the 3.73 gears?

I tried to search Jeeps website for info on the options but I didn't find it there, but nothing says I was looking in the right area.

I didn't order any tow package, just throwing that out there before someone asks.

·
Official Monkey Business
12,215 Posts
If I understand it correctly 3.73 is the tallest gears that JK ships with. Thats the gear that most X's ship with if they don't have the tow package. So good chance it has that.

Congrats on the new Jeep.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The 3.73 gears are an option, the standard is the 3.21 gears.
I want the 3.73 for better acceleration and the added gear to help with tire size changes later on.

We ordered the auto, since the wife never learned how to drive a stick properly.

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
That's what I thought, but TexasKev's comment sounded like the 3.21's weren't available anymore. If you got an auto, then I'm 99% sure you got the 3.73's. If it were a 2007-2011, then I'd be certain, but I'm not sure if there are any nuances to the 2012's and gear/tranny combos.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Yes for 2012 the 3.73 are standard on Sport, Sahara and Rubicon with an auto... 4.10 are optional..

·
Registered
163 Posts
Yes for 2012 the 3.73 are standard on Sport, Sahara and Rubicon with an auto... 4.10 are optional..
That's not accurate. 3.21 are standard on the Sport and Sahara with 3.73 as an option. The Rubicon is standard with 3.73 in auto w/ 4.10 as an option and 4.10 standard in the 6spd.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
That's not accurate. 3.21 are standard on the Sport and Sahara with 3.73 as an option. The Rubicon is standard with 3.73 in auto w/ 4.10 as an option and 4.10 standard in the 6spd.
Sure it is on an Unlimited. Go onto Jeep.com and build a Sport unlimited, when you click on 5spd auto there is a little exclamation mark that pops up beside 3.21 that requires the change to 3.73 gears. Read below where ! means "Requires a change to current selections".. That being said I did not check the 2dr Sport...
I went into my dealer to build my own (soon to be ordered Rubicon) the 3.21 option is only available on 6spd standard..

·
Registered
163 Posts
Sure it is on an Unlimited. Go onto Jeep.com and build a Sport unlimited, when you click on 5spd auto there is a little exclamation mark that pops up beside 3.21 that requires the change to 3.73 gears. Read below where ! means "Requires a change to current selections".. That being said I did not check the 2dr Sport...
I went into my dealer to build my own (soon to be ordered Rubicon) the 3.21 option is only available on 6spd standard..
Check out the spec sheet from Jeep, the auto trans in any model (sans Rubi) has 3.21 with 3.73 as an option.

http://www.media.chrysler.com/dcxms/assets/specs/2012_JP_Wrangler_Unltd_Specs.pdf

To answer the OP question (I appologize for detracting from your post!!) the LSD is available with 3.21 so you may have reason for concern. I had a rather strange conversation with my dealer about this when he tried to explain his reasoning for ordering most of his 2012s in 3.21 rather than taking the free upgrade to 3.73. His position was that the customers would prefer the MPG increase and would not think twice about the gearing due the the new trans. While I certainly agree with him in that the new trans makes a huge difference ( I personally am running 35s on an auto with 4.10 and it pulls just fine, rather similar to the previous years with 4.88 or 5.13) I still don't think many people will want the 3.21.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Thanks for the clarification.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts