JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I have a 4 inch lift (springs and shocks) that came with a drop pitman arm and the front drop tracbar bracket on my unlimited now, Recently I purchased an adjustable tracbar to upgrade things a little, I took the drop bracket off and mounted it but it gave me some bump steer so put the drop and factory one back on till I have more time to work with things, do I need to use the factory pitman arm with the adjustable trac to put things back to parallel, How do some of you all have your setups with a 4 inch? I think the drop pitman arm was creating the bump steer for me... am I correct in thinking this?

Thanks Guys

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
Track-bar and drag-link need to be as parallel as possible. The dropped pitman arm could have been giving you issues if it put the drag-link at too much of an angle from the track-bar.

I am running a 4 1/2" lift with a Poly Performance drag-link on the stock pitman arm & dropped track-bar mount with a RE adj track-bar. The drag-link is flipped.

I have no issues with anything atm. the jeep handles/ drives very well with this set up.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Okay, I have a 4 inch lift (springs and shocks) that came with a drop pitman arm and the front drop tracbar bracket on my unlimited now, Recently I purchased an adjustable tracbar to upgrade things a little, I took the drop bracket off and mounted it but it gave me some bump steer so put the drop and factory one back on till I have more time to work with things, do I need to use the factory pitman arm with the adjustable trac to put things back to parallel, How do some of you all have your setups with a 4 inch? I think the drop pitman arm was creating the bump steer for me... am I correct in thinking this?

Thanks Guys
Why can't you use your adjustable trackbar with the drop bracket? Is the trackbar too long when you use the drop bracket?

If you had to take the drop bracket off, you just might need to go back to your stock pitman arm. Yep your tackbar and draglink must be parallel.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Why can't you use your adjustable trackbar with the drop bracket? Is the trackbar too long when you use the drop bracket?

If you had to take the drop bracket off, you just might need to go back to your stock pitman arm. Yep your tackbar and draglink must be parallel.
My thought Exactly. Use the adjustabe and the drop bracket. But I'd ditch the pitman arm in the near future and run the drag link flip. The OEM pitman arm is dropped enough the extra drop will stress the sector shaft even more.

·
RIP Brad
3,762 Posts
My thought Exactly. Use the adjustabe and the drop bracket. But I'd ditch the pitman arm in the near future and run the drag link flip. The OEM pitman arm is dropped enough the extra drop will stress the sector shaft even more.
Really.....

Dropped pitman arm surely didn't help this happen. :cookiemonster:

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I thought the whole reason behind an adjustable trackbar was to eliminate the drop bracket???

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
I thought the whole reason behind an adjustable trackbar was to eliminate the drop bracket???
That's one reason yes- plus with front & rear adjustable track-bars you can better center your axles if need be. I actually run a drop bracket on the front of my Jeep without one on the rear. My front bracket is welded on, but I could remove it if necessary.

The question is- will your drag-link and track-bar be more parallel with one another running the dropped bracket?...or without it?

·
Registered
578 Posts
If the kit you are using was supplied with both a drop pitman arm and drop track bar bracket then you should use both together. In fact, if both of those parts were supplied they were probably designed around the oem track bar. Replacing the oem track bar with these steering correction parts more then likely goes against what they engineered. If you replace the oem track bar with an adjustable unit set to the same length then what's the point?

Honestly, I would either use the supplied steering correction parts with the oem track bar OR go back to stock in conjunction with the adjustable bar. One or the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts