JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, not sure if anybody else has had the problem but 2 weeks ago, I sheered off my valve stem.

Sorry about the pics, they're taken from my cell phone. All the threads are sheared off the end of the valve stem and the top of the core is crushed and bent over.

Come to find out that Jeep sells a replacement in 2 different manners. 1 is to sell the entire TPMS sensor assembly with valve stem and all for the low low price of $71.20. 2 is to sell a 'servicing kit' which includes some of the parts included in option 1 at a steal of a price of $62.85. After finding this out I tell the firestone tire care to just replace it with a regular rubber valve stem and make sure to get the rest of the sensor returned to me.

note the sticker says "Schrader Electronics" (it's important later)

TPMS sensor with broken valve stem in hand, I decide to do some google searching to try to find a cheap replacement. There are lots of them commercially available for less than what Jeep is charging but no real confirmation if they are compatible with the stock monitoring system. I then procede to check out a web site for Schrader Electronics (printed right on the sensor). At first it doesn't look promising but after some digging, I found their TPMS catalog. This turns out to be a very handy tool in finding what I need. It lists all the part numbers for the sensor, servicing kit, and valve stem. Not only that, but in back, it also has a cross reference for Jeep's part number as well as a NAPA part number for the valve stem and servicing kit. Could this really be the Napa, as in Napa auto parts? Quick search on google followed by a search of Napa parts catalogue and they have exactly what I need.

Valve Stem @ $3.29 and Service Pack @ $3.29

Jeep community + Google = 1
Chrysler/Jeep = 0 :thefinger:

Disclaimer: All information is for a 2009 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. According to Jeep's parts website, other years did have differing TPMS sensors but I'm sure data on other model years can just as easily be found with Google.

Edit: Updated links below
You can search for other model year Jeeps on the Schrader site. You can also find the catalog on the site which also has all model years referenced to the part numbers and descriptions.
TPMS Part Finder
Valve Stem on Amazon
Service Pack on Amazon

·
Registered
410 Posts
Nice.

FYI, if you ever have to replace a whole unit, discount tire sells generics that work with jeeps for $35-40. :) Why would I do that? well, I got a second set of rims that were missing them, and didn't want the idiot light on half the year.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Also the newer jeeps have the rubber snap in stem with the sensor attached to that. Those stems are only 2.50ish

·
Registered
236 Posts
I just switched the Black Rock wheels from my '08 X to my '10 Rubi 4 dr. No problems with the '08 sensors and the '10 computer. However, it seems the 08 computer may not like the '10 sensors.

By the way, the '08 X is for sale! PM me if interested.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Joe that is great Sleuthing! I was lucky to shear a stem when they only cost $40.00. I'll keep this for the next time. Thanks!:beer:

·
Registered
49 Posts
just ordered half a dozen of these after shearing 2 in a month. thx for sharing! ridiculous how much the dealer wanted to fix them.

napa schra
921074 28155 sensor
920210 20013 service pack (cap, grommet, nut, core... no stem)
920245 20020 stem only

·
Registered
573 Posts
Meant to put in my own thanks for the info.... I saved it off, now if I can just retrieve it when I need it!

·
Registered
104 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Part # Update

Great info Joe C. An update on the NAPA part numbers as of May, 2012.

920245 (Complete service pack including stem)
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Result.aspx?Ntt=920245&Ntk=Keyword&Nty=1&Dn=0&D=920245&Dk=1&Dp=3&N=0

921074 (After market rubber stem and sensor)
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Result.aspx?Ntt=921074&Ntk=Keyword&Nty=1&Dn=0&D=921074&Dk=1&Dp=3&N=0

920210 service pack (cap, grommet, nut, core... no stem)
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Result.aspx?Ntt=920210&Ntk=Keyword&Nty=1&Dn=0&D=920210&Dk=1&Dp=3&N=0

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
As someone who just damaged one recently...

Do the sensors from the aluminium valves work with the rubber stems? Or do you have to replace the entire assembly? Will those $2.50 rubber stems attach securely to the transmitters from the alloy stems?

·
Registered
232 Posts
DERAIL:

Looking for a permanent fix for bothersome TPMS lights?

Electrical Tape. :)

·
Registered
356 Posts
thank YOU original post!!

I ordered my parts at NAPA @ $3.29 x 5 = $16.45
dismount+mount tires @ local shop $5/wheel x 5 = $25
valve stems were AFU so... $5.99 x 5 = $29.95
tax totalled to be $4.65
"handling" charges from NAPA $7.95

That's 16.45 + 25 + 29.95 + 4.65 + 7.95 = $84...

That's all FIVE wheels done for the price of ONE!!!!

Thanks again, OP!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem but i am in south africa

Hi There man, i have exactly the same problem but i cant seem to find a way of getting the part shipped to me, i would send you guys money even double to what it cost for one of those stems, because even then it would be a lot cheaper, they also want to charge me for the whole new sensor

1 - 20 of 28 Posts