JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new set of Toyo Open Country MTs in size 37x13.5R17 that I am getting ready to mount on Raceline Rock Monster RT231 steel ring beadlock wheels. I was wondering if anyone knew if the Toyos would require a rock ring spacer? I've been reading up and some tires have a thicker bead than others and require this to seat properly.

Second question, do you recommend running caulk on the rim to help seal the tire?

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
there is a small chance you will need the spacer. Every rig we do runs Racelines with toyo MTs and only had one set that needed the spacers. You do not need to add caulk as long as the tire is installed properly.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I mounted them up last night with the help of a friend and I did not need rock ring spacers. The rings were flush with the rim once torqued down. The first one leaked around 3 of the bolts and would not stop leaking despite cranking the bolts around the leaks down a few more ft lbs. We took the ring back off and noticed that the inner side of the Toyo bead has little ridges on them due to the way the tires are molded. That ridge makes it very difficult for the inner side of the bead to seal against the rim. I decided to use RTV to help the inner side of the bead seal against the rim. It was a bit of a pain and took an entire tube of RTV for 4 rims but they all hold air now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts