JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 JKR on 37x13.50x17 Toyo M/T at 26lbs of air. When I'm driving down the road, holding the steering wheel with both hands, lines and cracks in the road pull me all over my lane. Is this normal for this tire on a jeep? I had these in 35's on my F250 and it drove fantastic. These scare the hell out of me and cause me to look like I've been drinking all day. Anyone else experience this?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How tall is your lift? Is your caster set correctly?
All I have is the teraflex budget boost spring spacers. Caster has not been adjusted for that. The spacers compress since they're not steal so I would be surprised if its the actual 2.5" lift. Probably closer to 2"

·
Registered
525 Posts
The tendency for tires to follow cracks and lines in the road is called Tramlining. Wide tires are more prone to do this, so the 13.50 width is contributing. And Toyo MTs can tend to wander and have less precise highway handling than some other tires when they are new. Those tall soft tread lugs can be a bit squirmy. Drive them for 5000 to 10000 miles and the squirmy feeling goes away.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I run that same tire and size on my jku and really dont have any issues at all with them. They have been a great tire for me!

·
The Wheelin Man's Friend
8,651 Posts
I have them on my truck and they pull it all over the road too. (Ram 2500) I did not have as much of a problem with them on my 2012 JKU, but they did like to wander a bit. Hands down, the best thing I did to that Jeep was a Fox ATS stabilizer. I have one sitting in the shop waiting to go on the truck now too.

Try that and see if it helps and also check the toe setting on the Jeep. Make sure you're toed in about 1/8". Caster might also be a little light, but you're not really tall enough to have problems.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Make sure you're toed in about 1/8". Caster might also be a little light, but you're not really tall enough to have problems.
I'll look into the caster. I didn't think i'd have enough lift to cause these issues either. I just put a new steering stabilizer on it the other day reloc kit and a Teraflex 9550

·
Registered
593 Posts
My toyos needed more like 1/4" toe in to run well, 37" tall and 13.50 wide is a lot of tire trying to pull outward while running 70mph

·
Premium Member
5,705 Posts
I'll look into the caster. I didn't think i'd have enough lift to cause these issues either. I just put a new steering stabilizer on it the other day reloc kit and a Teraflex 9550

Do you know how to measure caster ?
Get it from pinion. Measure off the flange area.
Stock = +2 pinion +4 caster
If pinion measures +3 caster = +3
Pinion measures +1 caster = +5
Total separation is 6*

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do you know how to measure caster ?
Get it from pinion. Measure off the flange area.
Stock = +2 pinion +4 caster
If pinion measures +3 caster = +3
Pinion measures +1 caster = +5
Total separation is 6*
I will look into how to measure this, but I don't think with only 2" of lift, that's it would be that far out of whack. I'd lean more to centering axles with aftermarket track bars I think. It might be worth noting though that if 2" is enough to need aftermarket track bars, it could need the caster adjusted. Just thinking out loud.

·
Premium Member
5,705 Posts
I will look into how to measure this, but I don't think with only 2" of lift, that's it would be that far out of whack. I'd lean more to centering axles with aftermarket track bars I think. It might be worth noting though that if 2" is enough to need aftermarket track bars, it could need the caster adjusted. Just thinking out loud.

2-3" all you really need is a rear raised TB bracket. That alone will help handling.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Upgrade your steering stabilizer. The Fox ATS is hands down my favorite. Then get a set control arms. your caster is screwed and I bet your rear driveshaft is begging for mercy.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Upgrade your steering stabilizer. The Fox ATS is hands down my favorite. Then get a set control arms. your caster is screwed and I bet your rear driveshaft is begging for mercy.
I have an upgraded steering stabilizer. The fox is nice but not going to do that yet. I also don't think I need control arms or a rear driveshaft for a 2" or less than 2" lift.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I have an upgraded steering stabilizer. The fox is nice but not going to do that yet. I also don't think I need control arms or a rear driveshaft for a 2" or less than 2" lift.
Control arms will correct your rear pinion angle allowing you to get a lot more life out of the stock drive shaft. Unfortunately the rear control arms won't help your handling any.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Control arms will correct your rear pinion angle allowing you to get a lot more life out of the stock drive shaft. Unfortunately the rear control arms won't help your handling any.
My rear suspension is comprised of 2" Rubicon Express springs. I'm almost certain I got 0-1" lift out of them vs. my factory Rubicon springs. I'm following you guys about the angles or pinion and caster. However, I still don't think that its been lifted enough to effect either.

·
Premium Member
5,705 Posts
Yea he doesn't have enough lift to warrant adjustable CA's.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have a 2014 JKR on 37x13.50x17 Toyo M/T at 26lbs of air. When I'm driving down the road, holding the steering wheel with both hands, lines and cracks in the road pull me all over my lane. Is this normal for this tire on a jeep? I had these in 35's on my F250 and it drove fantastic. These scare the hell out of me and cause me to look like I've been drinking all day. Anyone else experience this?
2 door or 4 door? I had the same lift in my jku and it was fine. In my 2 door it drove like shit just as you stated. I put in the rancho correction brackets and now all better.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I would really consider spending the $60 or whatever and put your rig on an alignment rack and get some detailed numbers. If your toe and caster are off it will drive like shit end of story. have the alignment shop adjust your toe to10 on each side for a total of 20. If your caster is less than 4.2 address it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts