JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i just measured my new tires to input my procal and they measure 33.5" using a level on top of the tire. I know they are usually off .5" or so but 1.5"????

· JKO Dickhead
2,597 Posts
Yea... My 35 mtr's barely measure 34.. Especially with the lower pressure. What tire pressure you running ?

· Registered
350 Posts
My cooper STT's are supposed to be 34.8 and measure approximately 33"s.
It's pretty common. It's unusual to find true 35s, 37s, 40s...

Sent via evil monkey!

· Premium Member
5,163 Posts
Jesus .... Most tires are under listed size mounted.

SC's default for a 35" is 33.75 and I'm measuring about that.

1.25 seems to be the norm.

· JKO Dickhead
2,597 Posts
I would think w air they would b even taller?
Yes, they would..l I run about 28 street psi, but the mtr's seem to require a little less for a decent contact patch ... But, yea, almost all tires measure small.

And remember, tires are like breasts... They may seem big enough at first, but once you have played with them for a while they will seem insufficient !

· Registered
89 Posts
You have to measure the tyre height mounted, with air in it (at the specified pressure on the specified rim width to be exact) and not loaded (ie. OFF THE CAR!). Not on the Jeep and loaded... drives me crazy when people do this and then complain about the tire not being the 'true height'...

The proper way to measure the height is to measure the circumference around the centre of the tire (yes, mounted and aired up... but not loaded), and calculate the diameter.

Your Procal (or whatever you use) really cares about tyre circumference - not height at a given pressure and a given vehicle weight etc. When its on the vehicle, taking air out, or putting more air in, will change the height of the top of the tyre... but it won't change its rolling circumference. 10 rotations will basically take you the same distance at 10psi or 35psi, even though the tire height will be different.

Please, please, pleeeeeeaaaaase stop measuring tire heights when loaded... for the sake of my sanity...

S.

· Registered
181 Posts
My Toyo 37"s is the only tire I ever owned that actually measured what it said. I Measured mine mounted and at 30psi and measured 37"

07 JKU Rubicon 3" lift 1" BL. 37"s. Nicely Built.
It's not a hobby it's a Part of who I am.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.