JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2009 JKU towing a 1100 pound trailer with an 1100 pound UTV on it. Going Alberta, Canada to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico.

Here is what I have done so far:
-Purchased drum brakes for the Dexter 3500lb axel
-Installed breakaway battery and switch
-purchased and installed factory 7 pin harness for JKU
- installed brake controller
-installed an anti-sway stabilizer system on trailer
- purchased a Derale 13613 Series 9000 Transmission cooler, installing this weekend
Whats not completed yet:
Have to load UTV on trailer and hookup to JKU then find best place for UTV on trailer for best tongue weight balance etc.
-Determine if I will need heavier rear shocks or not

Anything else "you" would do if planning for the same trip, its about 2700 miles one way?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For a 2009 I'd add a trans cooler if you're auto.
Depending on what gears you have you may want to consider re-gearing too.

Good luck!!
Trans cooler is already on the list in first post. Gear change? Why would that be necessary Jeep says the Wrangler can pull up to 3500 pounds, I am pulling 2200 ?

·
Registered
45 Posts
The setup you listed in the first post will get the job done fine but just that. Will it be an easy 2700 miles?... probably not, you will definitely feel it back there. Those UTV's aren't the most aerodynamic. A re-gear would help that 3.8 get up to highway speed and over any steep grades but either way you slice it your going to be sucking down some fuel and putting a fair amount of strain on your jeep. Just take it easy and ride the right hand lane and you should be fine. The best way to see what you might need is to load it up and take it for a spin... see how it feels and go from there. Best of luck!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Trans cooler is already on the list in first post. Gear change? Why would that be necessary Jeep says the Wrangler can pull up to 3500 pounds, I am pulling 2200 ?
Ahhh missed the cooler:)
You didn't specify what gears you have (or tire size). Seems every year varies but for 2009 I believe the tow ratings for a 4 door vary from 1,000 pounds to 3,500 depending on your gears. 3.21 = 1,000 3.73+ = 3,500
In JK form I've towed with manual/3.73, auto/3.73, auto/4.10 & auto/4.88 in 2 doors and 4 doors with a variety of tire sizes. What you want to do will be fine IMO, but better gearing always helps, even without a trailer.
Good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ahhh missed the cooler:)
You didn't specify what gears you have (or tire size). Seems every year varies but for 2009 I believe the tow ratings for a 4 door vary from 1,000 pounds to 3,500 depending on your gears. 3.21 = 1,000 3.73+ = 3,500
In JK form I've towed with manual/3.73, auto/3.73, auto/4.10 & auto/4.88 in 2 doors and 4 doors with a variety of tire sizes. What you want to do will be fine IMO, but better gearing always helps, even without a trailer.
Good luck!
Thanks
Standard 2018 tires and rims, ( bought tires and wheels from a guy that drove his 2018 from the dealer to a Jeep store that did lifts) I have a3.73 rear end and Auto with O/D, I have the Sport X 4 door.
I think I will add a temp gauge so I can actually see engine temperature as opposed to finding out too late with an idiot light

1 - 7 of 7 Posts