JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i inquire on a camper forum about a weight dist hitch and sway control for my new camper i got and they asked what i was towing with and after i told them they point out im 200lbs over with my camper unloaded so im guessing about 500 total (they claim 1000) and holy $hit did i open a can of worms there. im now a crazy out of control menace saftey hazard, now i only take the camper when i go wheeling and its not far (about 1 1/2hrs) so it gets towed by my jeep about 3 times a year if that. and i think it tows it fine i was just looking to try to make it better with a wdh and a sway control.
are they overreacting or am i really a crazy road hazard?

G

·
0 Posts
You'll probably open up a can of worms here, too. I tend to be one that thinks you should stick to the specs and not tow more than the vehicle is rated for. Many others don't. The ratings are based on many factors. Short wheelbase vehicles are inherently less stable than longer wheelbase vehicles. Put a heavy load behind them and it gets worse. Same goes for high center of gravity vehicles.

The problem is that you don't get a second chance. If you happen to be towing to your wheeling spot and someone pulls out in front of you or cuts you off and you have to swerve, you may end up having an accident, even if it isn't your fault. You don't have to be far from home for this to happen.

Another significant consideration is the legal one. In some states you may be held liable for an accident if you are towing over the limit, whether it's your fault or not. That could put you in real danger if you happened to be in an accident with injuries or fatalities.

In my own opinion, probably most vehicles CAN be driven safely over the rated specs. Whether they ARE or not depends on the driver. It is very easy to just let the speed creep up or the awareness creep down without even realizing it. Even if you are driving it safely, though, if you're involved in an accident you may not like the legal outcome.

·
Registered
6,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i do realize the saftey aspect but if i had to swerve in a 4 door would it make a difference that i wouldnt wreck?

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
length and tongue weight matters more than the actual weight.

With the 2 dr's, You have less room for error due to how short they are, versus the length of the trailer.

I know that i pulled my motorcycle 200 miles on a 16ft flatbed trailer, Maybe 1900 lbs total, And i was all over the place! Very small corrections and your making big corrections on the trailer.

I drive an 18 wheeler for a living, So i am used to having something behind me all the time, But i learned a valuable lesson with the Jeep... It aint no tow rig.

Please be careful out there

·
Registered
6,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well i showed my wife this thread and the one on the camping forum and she thinks i shouldnt tow the camper with the jeep unless absotulty necessary( yeah im whipped) but i guess id rather be safe on the highway than have someone cut me off and i kill them

·
Registered
93 Posts
When deciding how much you have to tow and how far, you should also be cognizant of the cooling requirements for your engine. That is one of the factors that the engineers needed to take into account when figuring the towing limits of our Jeeps. Exceed that, and it's a likely possibility you can overheat and get stranded (if it's hot enough outside), especially with an auto.

·
Registered
147 Posts
There is also one thing not mentioned here the lighter the vehicle the less it's tow capacity. This is not only due to the above mentioned things but also the lack in ability of the lighter vehicle being able to stop the heavy trailer load. It does not take much of an overload for the trailer to take over and override the vehicle's ability to stop by skidding.

I am all about keeping within the recomended tolerances however you can do it if you drive slower and allow more room to stop you should be able to safely tow the overload.

·
Registered
93 Posts
but adont the 2 dr and 4dr have the same cooling system?
Yeah, I just re-read your original post, and saw that you're asking about the 2 door. I would think then, in this case, your limiting factor would not be the cooling, but rather the wheelbase length/weight as laid out in the post right above.

·
Registered
92 Posts
2000 is about the limit. I used to haul 2 quads and some other stuff on a 16 foot trailer with my 2002 short wheelbase. It was all about the loading. If I had the weight towards the back it was the whole "tail wagging the dog" very scary. I don't remeber from above what you said the weight is but I think the short wheelbase jeep is rated at 2500. The cherokee with the exact same setup is rated at 3500. that is due to the length and weight difference. You really need to go to a truckstop and weigh your set up with and with out the jeep and determine where you are really at. also loading the camper carefully should help too. I have never tried the sway hitch. You might talk to your local trailer shop and see what they think... if its a good shop and they think you are not safe they wont sell you the sway hitch... in theory anyway.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts