JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering purchasing a 6x10' enclosed trailer. Empty it weighs right at about 1000lbs and loaded could way up to 1800lbs with my quad inside. This weekend I towed it at would be around 1300lbs and with my factory 3.73's an 37x13.50x20 Toyo M/T - I got a whole 7.8mpg.

I know re-gearing would be the best option.

But would a programmer or procal help out any in increasing mileage and shift points in this situation or would it be a waste of money and I should just save for the regear (I know i'll need it for tire/speedo changes)

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
You should have one of the two (but not Hypertech) anyway. Your Jeep must be hell to drive with that setup. What model Jeep do you have?

The ProCal will get your speedometer correct, your mileage correct (I assume you hand-calculated 7.8 MPG?) shift points correct, etc. As you said, you'll need it when you regear, so buy a ProCal at a minimum, a Diablo at a medium, a regear at a maximum, and a regear and RIPP S/C with Diablo tune at a super-maximum.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You should have one of the two (but not Hypertech) anyway. Your Jeep must be hell to drive with that setup. What model Jeep do you have?

The ProCal will get your speedometer correct, your mileage correct (I assume you hand-calculated 7.8 MPG?) shift points correct, etc. As you said, you'll need it when you regear, so buy a ProCal at a minimum, a Diablo at a medium, a regear at a maximum, and a regear and RIPP S/C with Diablo tune at a super-maximum.
lol @ super-maximum

I have a 2014 JKR - I'll probably pick up a procal this week. I have at trip to Mena, Arkansas coming up and it'd be about 250 miles one way.

This past trip was to Gilmer which is about 125 miles. Took one whole tank to get there. One tank while I wheeled. One Whole tank to get back home.

hand calculated, that's actually 6.9mpg...

·
Registered
210 Posts
Man, something doesn't "feel" right about your numbers on this.

'14 JKUR manual trans with 4.10s on 37" KM2s here and I get 14 at very worst and 19 at very best. Granted that's w/out the trailer, but still. I tow occasionally, never far enough to get an accurate mpg rating, but far enough to notice if my mileage is cut in half.

It doesn't seem that the 3.73 to 4.10 and (assumed) auto tranny to manual would make that kind of difference, but I could be wrong. :(

·
Registered
549 Posts
I have clocked 1550 miles on my 14 JKR.it is an Auto with 4.10's. I took a trip to West Ohio this weekend to see a buddy. I was getting around 16.4 MPG for the trip. I started the trip with right at 630 miles on the clock. I am willing to bet he is getting better then what he thinks he is. He has not recalibrated it since he put 37's on it.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I'm considering purchasing a 6x10' enclosed trailer. Empty it weighs right at about 1000lbs and loaded could way up to 1800lbs with my quad inside. This weekend I towed it at would be around 1300lbs and with my factory 3.73's an 37x13.50x20 Toyo M/T - I got a whole 7.8mpg.

I know re-gearing would be the best option.

But would a programmer or procal help out any in increasing mileage and shift points in this situation or would it be a waste of money and I should just save for the regear (I know i'll need it for tire/speedo changes)
Qoute before you change it. :flipoff:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Man, something doesn't "feel" right about your numbers on this.

'14 JKUR manual trans with 4.10s on 37" KM2s here and I get 14 at very worst and 19 at very best. Granted that's w/out the trailer, but still. I tow occasionally, never far enough to get an accurate mpg rating, but far enough to notice if my mileage is cut in half.

It doesn't seem that the 3.73 to 4.10 and (assumed) auto tranny to manual would make that kind of difference, but I could be wrong. :(
I have a set of 4.10's in the garage but decided to wait till i get 5.13 or 5.38s.

This is what I know:
When I had stock tires - 22mpg
When I went to KM2 35's - 18mpg
When I went to Toyo mud 37's - 13mpg
When I towed the trailer on 37's, well you see.

I have clocked 1550 miles on my 14 JKR.it is an Auto with 4.10's. I took a trip to West Ohio this weekend to see a buddy. I was getting around 16.4 MPG for the trip. I started the trip with right at 630 miles on the clock. I am willing to bet he is getting better then what he thinks he is. He has not recalibrated it since he put 37's on it.
Even still, I went 125 miles and had to fill up again, that's 125 miles in 18 gallons and i ran it till it was running on fumes cause I just wanted to get home.

When did you get 20's??? Fucking mall crawler!!! :thefinger:
Damn you. That was my F250 tire size. I'm not used to saying 37 for a 17 yet. :thefinger:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts