JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there's plenty of you guys that own boats. I'm actually considering a boat. However, the jeep is my only vehicle. Keeping a boat in a slip is too costly. So what's the largest boat you'd tow in a jeep? I'm thinking a small cuddy in the 20-22' range on a single or double axle trailer. Too much? Wouldn't be going far....50 freeway miles, no mountains (some hills).

NOTE: Considering means not decided yet. Feel free to say "don't bother". If the jeep is just not capable of towing more than a kayak, then I simply won't get one.

·
ADDICTION II build begins....
3,833 Posts
:hide: get ready for it :hide: I can hear the flaming coming any second over the 3.8L girly engine and safety! :laughing:

FYI, I intend on buying a boat one day when i get to where I am going to call home! :)

·
Registered
660 Posts
Ive been pulling my 18' maxium ski boat around the past couple of weeks, it does ok. The trailer has brakes so that helps out a lot.
Two or four door? Gears?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's a 4 dr and will soon have 4.88 gears and only 33" tires. I'm thinking trailer brakes, also. I already live in so cal so getting to the ocean is just a short drive. Just too expensive to put it in a slip.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
go for it. i would recomend trailer brakes and probably a tandem axle. i pull a 19.5 ft ski boat on a single axle trailer with no trailer brakes. being in the foothills of the appalachians it can get scary at times, but i just downshift and take my time. its much easier with the 5.13s and 35"s than it was with the 3.73s.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
I pulled a HEAVY VIP center console, my buddy has a 1 ton diesel and it feels hevey with it, I don't know. Anyway it was 16' and I pulled it back from Mississippi to Texas, 4:10 gears stock rubi tires and I was at 4-4300 rpm the whole way to stay at 65-70. 6-8 hours and it's still running dammit. Oh and no tranny cooler.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts