JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused:I am kind of confused on lifting my jk.I have purposly not invested in a lift yet because i dont really understand the differances in all the lifts offerd..What i dont understand is I have seen people with lifts like the black diamond 3" lift advertising they run 37" tires and everything works great.On the other hand others say you cant run even 35's without having all the adjustable upper and lower control arms.I was looking at the Rubicon Express 3.5" lift at 1,600.00 thats about all I can afford.But the clayton lift is a tad more but has all 8 control arms for 1,900.00 so maybe i should save up for a little longer.And then I think to myself all those guys ive seen running the more inexpensive black diamond 3.5 lift with all the savings I could get other stuff.I guess what I'm after is i like doing moderate offroading nothing real extreme.I live in montana with hundreds of miles of mountainous logging roads that have lots of rocks,your typical north west offroading.I want to run 35's and not have to spend hundreds more dollars to make it work properly because it did not come with what you really need to make the lift work like it should.So sould I go with the black diamond lift? The R.E. lift looks very capabale and price wise is at the lower end of the more expensive lifts.I think this debate is driving me straight to the nut house,please save me from posibale insanity:bounce::laughing::bawling::confused:

·
Registered
401 Posts
If you plan on doing very much wheelin go ahead and get something with better, longer lasting components. Something that comes complete with adjustable arms and good flex joints like the Full Traction Ultimate 3" or the RE 3.5". You'll save $ in the long run and enjoy a much better quality suspension. You can run 35's with both and the FT requires no driveline change if it's a 4dr.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
:confused:I am kind of confused on lifting my jk.I have purposly not invested in a lift yet because i dont really understand the differances in all the lifts offerd..What i dont understand is I have seen people with lifts like the black diamond 3" lift advertising they run 37" tires and everything works great.On the other hand others say you cant run even 35's without having all the adjustable upper and lower control arms.I was looking at the Rubicon Express 3.5" lift at 1,600.00 thats about all I can afford.But the clayton lift is a tad more but has all 8 control arms for 1,900.00 so maybe i should save up for a little longer.And then I think to myself all those guys ive seen running the more inexpensive black diamond 3.5 lift with all the savings I could get other stuff.I guess what I'm after is i like doing moderate offroading nothing real extreme.I live in montana with hundreds of miles of mountainous logging roads that have lots of rocks,your typical north west offroading.I want to run 35's and not have to spend hundreds more dollars to make it work properly because it did not come with what you really need to make the lift work like it should.So sould I go with the black diamond lift? The R.E. lift looks very capabale and price wise is at the lower end of the more expensive lifts.I think this debate is driving me straight to the nut house,please save me from posibale insanity:bounce::laughing::bawling::confused:

I like things to be real simple which means less problems after the fact, and more money in the pocket...my suggestion would be the Old Man Emu spring and shock combo for less then $700.00, coupled with an adjustable track bar (Teraflex makes a nice one), add a Fox Racing steering stabilizer, and some new 35" tires...the whole shebang for less then $1900.00.:beer:

·
Registered
169 Posts
I can only talk about the lifts that I have seen.

I have seen the RE 3.5 kit and a member of my Jeep club has it. He really likes it. I considered this kit before I started my research.

I looked at the Superlift kit (I was going to go with them on my Silverado).

Then thought the Full Traction kit...read about some folks complaining about customer service and how the arms squeak etc...just from what I read.

Then along came OME. And I installed this kit on a good friends Jeep and she loves it. I put on the OME Shocks, springs and full traction adj. track bars front and rear. Rides nice and it was about $1000. Quality components too. If price is a concern, I personally think this is a decent kit.

I ultimately got the Poly Performance kit (and the guys at PP talked me out of the Synergy III kit...yes talked me OUT of it....Said I should spend my money elsewhere as I didn't need upper control arms....How cool is that??)

So on the Poly Performance Synergy II kit 3" I installed this kit on Saturday morning. And so far I absolutely love it, it is one of the higher end kits and in my opinion I think its the best, but thats why I picked it, and saved up for it. Just my opinion.

Have you looked at the Poly Performance Synergy I kit. If you want to run 35's and want to save some money but want a really good kit, then I would check them out.

Also, from talking with the Poly Performance Guru's. You don't need upper control arms at the 3" lift kits....higher, yes...but not at this height.

One more thing. I can tell you, the Synergy II kit on the highway rides and steers better then it did stock. It sounds weird but it does...it seems more responsive (steering wise) and its more stable, meaning wind doesn't seem to upset it at all.

So to recap...

price and good components. Get the OME 2" kit ( this is really higher then that) with adj. trackbars.

Price, quality components. Get the Poly Performance kits.

My 3 cents on this. Good luck, I have been there where you are right now.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Most people will come up and tell you about the suspension system they bought and how great it is. And probably most are right. Most of the name brand kits are going to be fine. As far as running 35"s you can do so with a 2.5" budget boost, but you'll suffer in articulation, because there's just not as much room to move. 3" would be the smallest functionally for a 35" from what I've seen.

You didn't say whether or not you have a 2-door or an Unlimited. If you have a 2-door you will need the adjustable control arms for the rear to adjust the pinion. I'm guessing that you won't have that concern with an Unlimited until the lift gets pretty high. I'm actually surprised that someone didn't need them on the front, as whether you have a 2-door or Unlimited that front shaft will get pretty steep and you'll need to be able to adjust caster with pinion.

I decided to go with a complete system that gives me the option in the future to easily upgrade to 37"s -- all I have to do is change the springs. I chose the Clayton Offroad 3.5" with the optional rear adjustable track bar. It rides good and feels very confident offroad. The components are built well and they arms have a lifetime warranty -- even if you get in an accident. You'd do well on this kit and Adam at Clayton will sit on the phone with you and answer any questions you have.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Good comments. I think that it must also be noted that several of these suspension systems mentioned can be built upon. I like the Poly Performance kit, you can start with Stage I (which I think will be all you need) but work your way up to the stage three as time comes. I have the Stage III on mine and have absolutley no compalints. good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
So with either the Poly perf stage 2 or the clayton offroad 3.5, will a 4 door JK require driveline changes as well or can you use the stock driveline?

·
Registered
441 Posts
Not too familiar with the Unlimiteds, but I believe your front shaft is going to need to be replaced either way.

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
So with either the Poly perf stage 2 or the clayton offroad 3.5, will a 4 door JK require driveline changes as well or can you use the stock driveline?
Nope not needed with ~3" on a 4D
I'm running PP 3" springs and Synergy shocks with a BDS rear track bar bracket and stock drivelines
it rides great on road and does excellent off road.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I'm running the full traction 3 inch with 35's but wish that I would have done a 4 inch kit because I would now like to look at getting 37's plus the extra articulation would have been great. I really like the FT kit but just want more now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts