JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I too have suffered the torn front driveshaft boot due to having an auto with a lift. Snap clamp hit the flange on the auto trans pan at flex and knocked it off, tearing the boot and flinging grease all over.

I have a couple of questions.

1) has anyone just removed the boot and left it off, if so, any long term problems?

2) has anyone fabricated a replacement boot, if so, out of what and how is it working..

I'm not ready to buy a JE Reel driveshaft, I'm not convinced I need one. I've never heard of one twisting or a yoke busting, unless it's been bashed on rocks. Perhaps I've not looked far enough. I know the OEM is a crappy design, but still, unless they are busting...
The boot on the OEM just covers the slip yoke (lack of better description), the 2 halves of the shaft that slip in and out of eachother to allow length changes on travel. Unless I am missing something, there is no connection to either end, no chance for debris to get into the cv. Aftermarket shafts also have such a sliding joint, and I see no rubber boots..

Someone help me out here and correct me if I am being totally wrong.
I'm going to remove the shaft, pull off the boot, and probably look for a mororcycle sized inner tube to pull over the shaft, run well past the trans flange and either alligator clamp or zip tie on...
Or I may just leave it off.

What say ye?

·
Premium Member
3,985 Posts
I ripped my clamp off over a year and a half ago on my first offroad run. I decided at the time it was no big deal. I just left the boot on there not clamped. It has been that way ever since.

Not a problem, in my opinion.

·
Registered
184 Posts
2) has anyone fabricated a replacement boot, if so, out of what and how is it working...

What say ye?
From this thread:
http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1216

I've descovered a cool fix, that works great. I bought a motorcycle innertube (rear, 19").
Removed the drive shaft and marked both sections (to get it back in phase). Pulled the two sections apart and cleaned the areas and re-lubed them.

Cut a 8" long section out of the innertube. Then, stretched the innertube over the outside of the large diameter of the shaft, put the two sections of drive shaft back in phase, then slipped the inner tube over the smaller part of shaft.

It fits snug enough where no cable-ties are needed. :smokin:
I have not asked him in a while how it's working out now. I need to do that!
peter

·
Banned
3,226 Posts
which boot is it? Sounds like it is the lower one on the shaft if it hit the crossmembe.

That boot keeps the grease in and keeps dirt and water from getting into the grooves. If sand gets in there it can wear the shaft out prematurely. Only cases I have ever seen that may be related to that wore out in about 5 years. Either way, You will be fine if it is for a short time and not constanly in sand and water.

Mine tore. I think I am just going to throw some sort of patch on it for now. I am too lazy to replace it right now as I plan on getting shafts within a few months and highly doubt anything will fail due to that in that amount of time.

You can go to the dealership and buy a new boot and bands. I think they are around $20. Just clean it all up and repack with grease before puting back together.

Does our shafts have a zirk?? or just packed?

·
Registered
314 Posts
The problem is you can't buy a replacment boot. You need this boot on the driveshaft or all the grease will come out and sand will go in. This will cause failure of the drivshaft. Go to the local driveline shop and have them rig up a boot for it. I wonder if a shock boot will work if you stretch it enough.

Hundy, I can't believe your shaft is still spinning without that boot. I say rig something up asap.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm near sand dunes for the next 4 weeks, which is why I was asking if anyone had issues running w/o one. I'm probably in the worst enviornment for not having a boot, it will get packed with sand. I think I will try the motorcycle tube, I'm no where near home, any repair will have to be with limited tools.

·
Banned
3,226 Posts
If you are not going to replace the boot, at least duct tape it or use some ruber patch kit or something. Think that is all I am going to do for now

·
Premium Member
3,985 Posts
I'm near sand dunes for the next 4 weeks, which is why I was asking if anyone had issues running w/o one. I'm probably in the worst enviornment for not having a boot, it will get packed with sand. I think I will try the motorcycle tube, I'm no where near home, any repair will have to be with limited tools.

We do sand dunes all the time- I am not worried

·
Banned
3,226 Posts
did I hear someone say duct tape???
yup! :smokin: You like that idea, lol
if it is just a tear should work! (just to keep some sand out) :grinpimp: although I find electrical tape catches less sh!t from your friends...

Without that stuff I wouldn't have completed half the repairs I have done in the past, lol :shaking: :thefinger: :beer:

·
Registered
314 Posts
I would say go for the duct tape or just pack it really well with grease. Huundy you are a ballsy mofo. :smokin:

·
Registered
314 Posts
That must be one sexy driveshaft. Duct tape would have been better than wire. Or better yet use them both. :smokin:

I'll have to get you some more when I see you. We have black base, red base, and light blue base for the girls so you want the light blue right?

·
Registered
792 Posts
I ripped my boot on the front drive shaft. After reading this and other posts, I went out side used about 10 zip ties and pieced it back together.

Looks alright and matched up fairly well. It's obviously not water proof or weather proof. Any guesses about how long this might last? 1 month, 1 yr, 2 yr?

Also, what happens if I get dirt in there and the grease goes away? Will there be a violent explosion / will the drive shaft fall out while wheeling? Or will it just get noisy and start to bind?

·
Registered
913 Posts
I tore mine this last weekend on the first big flex of the front axle. I had a spare and swapped them out on the trail as it was making a racket when the boot was slapping against the pan..... The swap is fairly easy.. The worst part is the 8 little bolts that hold it into the transmission side...

I got my 2nd driveshaft from a 4x4 shop. They have a ton laying around because a lot of folks are buying the 1310's or 50's. I think for my piece of mind I am going to go with a 1310 I would hate to throw a shaft again. I'll keep one for a spare again.

·
Registered
947 Posts
i fixed my boot to,but dam trans pan ripped it apart aging.i gave up,a few guys just leave it alone,100dollarman's been torn for a 1 year or so no problems,mine's been torn for 10 months no problems.seen some guy put a dirt bike inner tube on there's to seal it.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I inspected the clamp. Looks like it was the clamp that got hung up on the trans pan and twisted around the shaft until the boot ripped. I'll try the bike tube and see how long that lasts.

I'm in FL, so full flex doesn't happen all that often. This should hold for a while.

I've heard folks talk about waiting to buy new shafts until they have completed their set up (bumpers, winch, etc). How much difference does this really make? Can I just buy an off the shelf shaft and expect it to work with a 3" lift before and after bumper/winch?

What if I decide to upgrade to 4" can the same shaft be used?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Why not pull the shaft apart and refill with grease time to time, its not a fix, but on zerks you have to grease them, so I would think(and hope, ripped mine about a month ago) that will keep it together for a long while

1 - 20 of 27 Posts