JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '12 JKU with the hard top and am intalling a hoist in my garage to yank the top.

After searching, I stumbled on the door surrounds issue and the fact that I am missing them. So, can I assume that without them, the bikini will flap in the wind and let rain in that space between the tops of the doors and the roll bars?

The problem is, the surrounds are not cheap and if I want to drop the hard top back on, I have to take them off, correct? That would make for too much work and time to take off and put on the hard top. Is there a cheap solution? I was thinking about making some spacers to slap in there when the rain hits.

So, if I don't get the surrounds, I assume I will get wet, correct? But how wet? Are we talking damp or might as well jump in a lake, wet.

Finally, did you guys yank your carpet when running topless? I don't want it to get ruined by getting wet every time it rains. I ran with metal floors and rubber mats on my CJ and it was no problem...I could hose it out and pull a drain plug.

· Registered
2,707 Posts
Where do you live?

How often are you planning to drive in the rain?

Will the Jeep sit outside in the rain?

How far are you driving in the rain?

How fast?

It's impossible for someone to say how wet you're going to get. Every situation is different.

· Registered
729 Posts
http://www.quadratec.com/products/11131_033X_PG.htm
This one is designed to be used without the door surrounds.

As for the carpet, I usually leave it in. If it gets wet then pull it and let it dry out.
I have that bestop bikini and water can and will still get in around the doors. Also, if you plan on driving on the highway, I recommend you take it off, because if flaps like nobody's business. The product would be a lot better if it had some velcro straps that attach around the sound bar and the back roll bar.

· Registered
356 Posts
I have that bestop bikini and water can and will still get in around the doors. Also, if you plan on driving on the highway, I recommend you take it off, because if flaps like nobody's business. The product would be a lot better if it had some velcro straps that attach around the sound bar and the back roll bar.
This flapping issue can be fixed with the standard pool "noodle". I put one between the top and the soundbar, and no more flapping. If you tuck it all the way back, it's not visible at all within the cab. I've been happy with the bestop bikini, FWIW

· Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Where do you live?

How often are you planning to drive in the rain?

Will the Jeep sit outside in the rain?

How far are you driving in the rain?

How fast?

It's impossible for someone to say how wet you're going to get. Every situation is different.
Yeah, sort of a dumb question on my part. With the bestop version above, I think I am covered because I don't want to run the top at all and the bikini will only be used for light rain and shade on occasion.

I used Quadratech's hoist system with the block and tackle in my garage and pulled the top last weekend. It was pretty easy to install and works darn good. Now I never want to put it back on!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.