JKOwners Forum banner

What should I do about my drag link?

• Total voters
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When the top half of your tire (and nothing else) makes contact with a Ford E150 (that cut me off) the forces create a downward bend on your drag link...

My Jeep now has a smirk from the accident this morning.

It started 1 mile back... We were both in the right of two left-turn lanes. He waited to get into the left one. Then around the curve, he thought he could take my lane, but my horn told him no... He got upset and kept cutting me off. I changed lanes, he did too, and hit his brakes... :shaking: I was finally ready to turn right (2nd to last before getting to work) and he decided he wanted to cut me off again... My Jeep said :thefinger:. He pushed the lower quarter panel of his van into my tire... He needs it to be straightened out, and painted... His rear bumper also is 1" further away from the van than normal. My Jeep felt fine, and I did a quick inspection for anything broken near the wheel, it was fine.

Cop came, because I was a dick and made the guy wait 30 minutes for them to show up, only because his rude ass was in a hurry. I told the officer what you see above, and he looked at me and said nice rig. :laughing: He also said that in this fucked up state I live in, since no officer saw it, there would be no ticket given out. So I told him to chew out the other guy for being an ass on the road, and he proceeded to talk to him for 10 more minutes (using his hands to explain shit). I meanwhile was sitting in my Jeep, trying to start it again with the damn shifter issue I have. Finally my Jeep started and then he let the other guy go.

Seemed fine on the way to work (1/2 mile and that is curvy roads) so I thought nothing of it. When I left, it was pulling to the right... But not really, the wheel was off center and I was holding it straight.

I can straighten out my drag link or go after this guy for a new one... :devil:

What say JKO?

Edit:
Do you see the smirk?

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Stickers bend easy as does the tie rod. Replace it with a beefier one because it'll be an issue anyway. In the meantime, adjust it and be done with it.

As for the other guy, what do you expect? He wont buy you a new one. Your insurance deductable is likely more than the cost of a replacement.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
If he was the dick in this situation, then, hell. Make him eat it! :D

Get a new drag link out of it. Why not?

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Stickers bend easy as does the tie rod. Replace it with a beefier one because it'll be an issue anyway. In the meantime, adjust it and be done with it.

As for the other guy, what do you expect? He wont buy you a new one. Your insurance deductable is likely more than the cost of a replacement.
No but his rates will go up if I go after his Ins for to get back my deductible.

if you havent done it already, sounds like perfect time for a high steer
I have a 30... Gonna change to a HD44+ one day anyways.

If he was the dick in this situation, then, hell. Make him eat it! :D

Get a new drag link out of it. Why not?
Probably the time off work to deal with it would cost more than a new HD one... That is why I am debating it...

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
As long as your tie rod tube isn't bent your golden. You can just adjust the dlink back straight as long as that isn't bent too.

I had a real similar incident happen to me a couple months back. An asshole just like yours was driving like a fuckhead on the freeway. He cut me off twice then the third time there wasn't enough room for him to fit. He proceeded to slowly merge over and expect me to hit the brakes and slow down.... I didn't. He ended up getting some 37 inch km2 nascar rub on his right rear quarter panel. The funniest part was once we hit he immediatly exited and bailed. My jeep was fine so it was nbd.

Vick

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
I have a 30... Gonna change to a HD44+ one day anyways.
so?
same knuckles aren't they?
still need a high steer to correct the angles.
use a poly or tf kit with the taper adapter and if you get a rubi 44, then you can just drill it and get a new taper for $10 and still use it.

·
Registered
11,065 Posts
That's crazy, glad you're okay. So basically since there was no ticket, there's no fault??? Tough call, what are the chances if you had it inspected by a body or alignment shop there might be more damage than just the drag link?

Hate to think you would have to pay any money out for somebody elses mistake. That's why we have insurance right?

My vote is for bacon. Weigh out your options and do what's best for you.:beer:

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
If u ask me the axle is bent and a d44 on his insurance would be the way to go. Just my .02.

Sent from my smoke signals

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If u ask me the axle is bent and a d44 on his insurance would be the way to go. Just my .02.

Sent from my smoke signals
You are my new repair shop, but I want the check so I can get a 60 and I'll let you install it... :thefinger:

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did the "least amount of work/hassle" fix, and rotated my steering...

Now where did I leave that bacon???

1 - 12 of 12 Posts