JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

what (I mean non-switchpanel ,not sPod or all-in-one accessories hub solution) ) switches are folks using when they replace these crappy switches that come w/ the cheap harnesses on Chinese led stuff?
These things have threadlike wiring that I find tough to solder w/ my baboon hands. The small children assembling them in the sweatshops have dexterous,small fingers ....

I have all sorts of SPDT or DPDT switches but wanna Kno what are y'all soldering with & to when you replace this junk:

:shocking:

·
Random Dude
3,041 Posts
All my switches have blade or screw terminals, so the wires going to them have female spade connectors or ring terminals on them. If the switch fails, I can bypass it by directly connecting the wires that were going to it. Not opposed to switches with pigtails - I'd likely make a serviceable connection at the end of the pigtails.

For ridiculously tiny wire soldering, I've had best results from immobilizing both halves of the solder joint (alligator clips, small clamps, mechanical crimp, etc.). Otherwise, I'll bump it before it solidifies and get a "cold" (dull) solder joint.

·
Super Moderator
6,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All my switches have blade or screw terminals, so the wires going to them have female spade connectors or ring terminals on them. If the switch fails, I can bypass it by directly connecting the wires that were going to it. Not opposed to switches with pigtails - I'd likely make a serviceable connection at the end of the pigtails.

For ridiculously tiny wire soldering, I've had best results from immobilizing both halves of the solder joint (alligator clips, small clamps, mechanical crimp, etc.). Otherwise, I'll bump it before it solidifies and get a "cold" (dull) solder joint.
well, then I must be doin the best that I can ; I have just that setup w a little arm bendy aligater clamps holder thing solder station. Fine tip on Weller, lightly touchin the two ends w solidifying lil blorp of Benzamatic .

even that care tends to overheat the tiny stupid isulation or ground fiber that runs inside the insulation with its ultra tiny lead copper wire. Those darn chinese & their perfecting lowcost electronics. Trust me; I like all solid connections , too. I have a couple of these unfortunately that I want to replace with :

...and it is a pita it's all so much smaller than even what I consider small; that being that SPDT switch pictured ,that is easily installed out of sight , just to expl why I ask.

·
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)
22,098 Posts
well, then I must be doin the best that I can ; I have just that setup w a little arm bendy aligater clamps holder thing solder station. Fine tip on Weller, lightly touchin the two ends w solidifying lil blorp of Benzamatic .

even that care tends to overheat the tiny stupid isulation or ground fiber that runs inside the insulation with its ultra tiny lead copper wire. Those darn chinese & their perfecting lowcost electronics. Trust me; I like all solid connections , too. I have a couple of these unfortunately that I want to replace with :

...and it is a pita it's all so much smaller than even what I consider small; that being that SPDT switch pictured ,that is easily installed out of sight , just to expl why I ask.
PM inbound to ya.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts