JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know what would be involved in putting older tail lights on a jk?

87-06 lights are common and cheap, 07+ tails are ~$85 and you cant get just the lens:shaking:

so I'm thinking about retrofitting some older lights, ideas?:bounce:

·
Premium Member
15,301 Posts
Besides some cut & splice of the harness to mate with the different style TJ plug, I would think it would work technically, But the real PITA would be having to fab an adapter plate to cover the space that the OEM tail lights were originally...keeping in mind that the plate/ bracket would also have to be bent or formed to fit the curved shape of the JK. I think a lot of us are waiting for a manufacturer to make a trail corner with no cutouts to allow us to use a variety of aftermarket lights (LED, flush mount, etc). JMO

·
Registered
6,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I havent pulled the whole light off yet to look, but would it absolutely have to wrap around the corner?
I'd prefer not wrapping the corner where it gets hit so easily

I guess I need to just pick up an older TJ light and go pull one of my lights n check to see what would be involved mounting wise.

·
Registered
6,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Jk corner is curved so if you mount the TJ light in the same place, it waould be pointed outward, not straight back.
I took a quick look, should be easy enough to make some brackets to angle them properly
shouldnt be too hard of a project
just gotta get ahold of some old tails to try it

·
Registered
665 Posts
I took a quick look, should be easy enough to make some brackets to angle them properly
shouldnt be too hard of a project
just gotta get ahold of some old tails to try it
I just don't see the benefit being there. In the end you've still got a big block taillight bolted to the back that you're going to snap off equally as easily as the ones you're taking off now.

I think it makes more sense to go to flush mounted LED's as someone said up above.

·
Registered
6,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just don't see the benefit being there.
I don't plan to make a habit of bashing them!
The benefit is $20 a light when they DO get broken and replaceable lenses at [email protected] Vs having to buy the whole unit everytime at $85 EACH!

Right now, if I could just get a replacement lens, all would be good but I gotta pony up $85 for the whole unit, whereas for about half that, I could get a pair of TJ lights and in the future, IF I smash one, its $20, if I just pop a lens like I did this time, it's $8

Make sense now?

·
Registered
665 Posts
I don't plan to make a habit of bashing them!
The benefit is $20 a light when they DO get broken and replaceable lenses at [email protected] Vs having to buy the whole unit everytime at $85 EACH!

Right now, if I could just get a replacement lens, all would be good but I gotta pony up $85 for the whole unit, whereas for about half that, I could get a pair of TJ lights and in the future, IF I smash one, its $20, if I just pop a lens like I did this time, it's $8

Make sense now?
Your problem makes sense, yes.

Your solution...still don't really think its the best one. Your talking about a strange fitting and odd looking taillight (even looked strange on the TJ) to save $77 each time you break one, when you could spend a little money and get something much better looking and much more useful and never worry about bashing them into things ever again.

We're working on a taillight kit that includes a couple of 4" round taillights with stop and turn function, and 2" reverse lights with all of the grommets and wiring pigtails, and I think it's gonna end up with a $90 pricetag give or take once vendors start selling them (post SEMA show)

If it helps though, I've got a set of JK taillights you can have for $50/pr then you have a spare set.

·
Registered
6,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'd love to get that pair from you!
Hopefully a new 'real' bumper will keep me from needing to replace anymore.
I slid into a wall at Katemcy and when the plastic bumper folded it let the light smack the rock too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.