JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Bias ply tires will ALWAYS let you know that you're on bias ply tires. What I mean is, they will SUCK on-road, but off-road, will bulge like champs, and give you a fair bit more max grip. The perennial favorites are from Interco Tire, known as Super Swampers. They range from wild to insane, and GRIP in anything but ice, like any M/T. Maxxis also makes the Creepy Crawler, which is also pretty gnarly.

If you plan on driving it on-road more than a little, radials are a great choice. There are some pretty radical radials these days. They offer improved on-road ride, and often sacrifice little in terms of on-road handling. Interco also makes some sick radial M/T's, as do Goodyear, BFGoodrich, and Dick Cepek. Mickey Thompson, Nitto, Toyo, and others also make good M/T's, but the first three tend to be the stickiest of the icky in the nasty stuff.

What kind of terrain will you be running? That'll be a big factor in narrowing down your top choices- Mark W.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
For rocks, you want something with beefy sidewalls to help resist punctures.
For bias ply, Interco SS LTB's are a really narsty rock tire, as are the Irok's. For a Jeeper on a budget, the LTB's are not terribly expensive, which is nice. Pitbull Rockers (which I forgot to mention in my first post- oops!) are apparently rather nasty too, but I have not ever run those, so I can't say fo' sho'.

The Maxxis Creepy Crawlers I DID mention tend to chunk off in sharp rock, so I wouldn't recommend those as highly.

For radials, you simply won't beat the Goodyear MTR's with Kevlar (as in bulletproof vests), which have (duh!) Kevlar in the sidewalls. I haven't tried them yet, but from what I hear, they're as close to bulletproof as any radial gets in terms of punctures, as well as having great street manners. The BFG Krawler is also SICK for a radial, but is $$, and hard to find spares for. Both of these are available through Tirerack, though, which is great- they're a great supplier, and have MILLIONS of tires in stock at any given time. Their prices USUALLY beat local tire places, as well, even with shipping. And yes, shameless plug! :) Mark W.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Keep in mind that you are not going to get the flexibility from a bias ply tire unless you air down ALOT. 3-5 pounds of air works great with Bias ply tires.....WHICH REQUIRES bead lock wheels. Factor this into your choice.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
That's to get the max performance, yes. Otherwise, you can run them down to around 7 PSI no problem on most non-locked wheels.
Also, if you plan to run a lot of highway miles, bias-plies run hot, and tend to have issues with tracking- Mark W.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I loved my mickey claws for both on and off road! by far these have lasted the longest of all tires i have ever had(over 40k and still treds left).

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
I run the 36" Super Swamper IROKS as a trail only tire, And air down to 12. They are GREAT tires off road, But SUCK on road.

I mount up the stock wheels and tires for everyday use until i wear down the stock MT's

·
Registered
453 Posts
Bias IROKs are awesome on rock, ok in mud and SUCK on the road. If you are getting bias ply tires, go for the double beadlocks and air way down. Its like having tank treads. :smokin:

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
I ran 36x14.5 Bias Gumbo Monster Mudders on 15x10 rim w/o beadlocks and had no issues down to 2 psi, this was on snow and driving really slow.

Over 7 psi I had less bead seating issues then with radials.

·
Registered
827 Posts
If you are still considering bias ply, look at the Pitbull line up of tires. They don't heat up nearly as bad as the others. They are slighly more quiet. I got about 35,000 miles out of my Rockers, which is amazing for that type of tire. They do like to grab road imperfections and such but not too bad I guess.
Lastly, don't be tempted to run low air pressure on highway, to gain a better ride, with bias ply tires. The lower the air pressure, the more the overlapping cords move around, over and against eachother. This friction creates the heat build up in the tire. Catastrophic tire failure can occur. Rare....but it happens. It also promotes poor and premature tread wear at the very least.

·
Registered
900 Posts
i just got rockers 39.5 so far no complaints. kinda sounds like wwii airplane on highway doing 70.

on tire pressure, what is the recommended pressure on 39.5x16.5 on 17?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts