JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased my first new Wrangler, a Sport S with 17 in. wheels. The tires are Goodyear SRA street tires which I want to change for another set in the stock 255/75r17 size. The Goodyears are listed as 36 lb. When I look at other tires like Goodrich t/a k02 at 46 lb, or cooper st maxx at 55 lb. I have concerns about what the extra tire weight might to to my steering or suspension components. How much if any additional tire weight might I be able to handle without endangering my steering or suspension components?

·
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)
22,098 Posts
There are lots and lots of people running around with stock steering and 35 inch tires. Which pretty sure they weigh more than that.

·
Registered
378 Posts
There are lots and lots of people running around with stock steering and 35 inch tires. Which pretty sure they weigh more than that.
He is correct. I gained 22 lbs per wheel. Steering issues? None. I put in HD ball joints because the stock ones have a history even with stock 32's

No issues unless I decide I'm a dune buggy or a race car..lol. If it really bothers you, run lighter rims.

Enjoy

·
Registered
2 Posts
You’re adding unsprung weight, think it’s every 1 pound is equivalent to 4 pounds extra load. Basically like having an additional passenger with you at all times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts