JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I understand tire size has been discussed at length. Yes bigger is better for off clearance and traction. But how about from point of view of towing. When pulling a trailer what impact would be expected with a larger and heavier tire? I’m assuming which ever direction I decide the trailer will be matched to. What I’m primarily looking at is between 33 and 35, though have not ruled out 32. Primarily my JKU is used for a daily driver plus extended camping treks in the Western states with some pretty rough forest service roads. So a good deal of highway to get there with really only a small percentage of the road time off road. From other drivers experience what would be the right balance in tire size?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
239 Posts
A few points:

1. Your legal tow rating doesn't change, it is what is printed on the door.
2. Weight of the jeep will play a part
3. The smaller the tires, the less gear you need

Personally I've got a ~5500lb jku (3.6 auto) on 35s that I used to tow a 2700lb (dry) camper, with 4.56 gears. 5th gear is not very useful. 3rd is too much. So on the highway I'm either in 4th or slowing down.

Putting a set of 37s on as we speak that may make 3rd more useful (along with exhaust and a snorkel for the cold air), but also thinking I might just get a spare set of stock 32s or 33s to tow with.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A few points:

1. Your legal tow rating doesn't change, it is what is printed on the door.
2. Weight of the jeep will play a part
3. The smaller the tires, the less gear you need

Personally I've got a ~5500lb jku (3.6 auto) on 35s that I used to tow a 2700lb (dry) camper, with 4.56 gears. 5th gear is not very useful. 3rd is too much. So on the highway I'm either in 4th or slowing down.

Putting a set of 37s on as we speak that may make 3rd more useful (along with exhaust and a snorkel for the cold air), but also thinking I might just get a spare set of stock 32s or 33s to tow with.

Thanks, I have 35’s on a 2015 with manual currently and it does ok on the highway, unless it’s windy or hilly and I don’t try to go 80. After some long days of driving it got me wondering if 33’s wouldn’t be just fine and save a little gas and power. Now we’re looking at getting some sort of teardrop trailer (aka a box that I can keep all camping / outdoor equipment in between trips)

What do you mean by “smaller tires less gear”?

·
Registered
239 Posts
What I mean is, the smaller that the tires you run, the more RPMs you will be turning at any given speed.

For example 5th gear, 70 mph, let's say you're turning like 2800 rpm right now. If you decrease tire size, now you'll be turning like 3000 rpm. So you've got more power at any given speed.

Play around with this:
http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What I mean is, the smaller that the tires you run, the more RPMs you will be turning at any given speed.

For example 5th gear, 70 mph, let's say you're turning like 2800 rpm right now. If you decrease tire size, now you'll be turning like 3000 rpm. So you've got more power at any given speed.

Play around with this:

Got it, absolutely makes sense. For some reason in my head I read as I would be able to haul less “gear” because it was a smaller / lighter Jeep

1 - 5 of 5 Posts