JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 2017 JKU Sport. Factory tires are 225/75 R 16. I don't want huge tires but do want to put some AT's on. Factory option size is 245/75 R 16. Here is the question: When going up one size do I have to replace all 5 or can I get by with the original spare?
I know it's a basic question but I could use some help.

·
Registered
2015 JKUR, 4.5" of lift, 37's, 4.88's
24 Posts
225/75R16 = 29.3X8.9R16
245/75R16 = 30.5X9.6R16
1.2 inch overall difference isn't enough to justify replacing your spare too. Just my opinion.

*Do yourself a favor and be on the lookout for Rubicon take-offs. A lot of people replace them as soon as they purchase the Jeep. You should be able to get a good package deal on the wheels and tires. I sold mine to a buddy for $500. The going price around Atlanta is currently $750.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Good advice. I sold mine to a friend for $500 as well. 32s would work great, little sluggish on the presumed 3.21 but not end of the world. I also gave up a mustang in the 90s for Jeeps. Any other questions, throw em out. If we don't have an answer, somebody will soon enough >:)

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
Regardless of what size you ultimately choose to go with, they ( all 5) definitely need to be the same size or you run the risk of your ESP/ BAS throwing a fit. I also recommend keeping the spare in the rotation so that they will all wear consistently.

·
Registered
128 Posts
225/75R16 = 29.3X8.9R16
245/75R16 = 30.5X9.6R16
1.2 inch overall difference isn't enough to justify replacing your spare too. Just my opinion.

*Do yourself a favor and be on the lookout for Rubicon take-offs. A lot of people replace them as soon as they purchase the Jeep. You should be able to get a good package deal on the wheels and tires. I sold mine to a buddy for $500. The going price around Atlanta is currently $750.

Right, I'm going to have let my 5 Sport rim set go for 400-450 that I've been offered. They're mint with 5700 miles on them. You're in a good position to find some good deals.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info all. I have done some looking for take offs but they are few and far between here in Mohave County, AZ. A couple of reasons we don't want to go to far up in diameter are that the Mrs. is vertically challenged and does not want to have to use a ladder (LOL). Also, although our minds are still in our 30's, our bodies are in our 70's and don't flex as well as they used to!

Reactions: aqualungs
1 - 6 of 6 Posts