JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my 2012 4 door rubicon and I am running 35 toyo tires. These tires came off my 2010 jk. Anyway, I only have 150 miles on the new jeep and the low tire sensor went off. I was told by my mechanic that I should set the tire pressure to what the recommended tire pressure is inside the door which reads 35 psi cold. I filled all 4 tires up to 35 and the sensor light is still on. Any ideas why the light will not turn off? Is there a reset for the 2012 jks?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Dumb question but did you purchase and install the 35's or did they come with the jeep when purchased?
Do the 35's have TPMS sensors in them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Yes all five have a sensor, shop may have ruined one if they had a dumb tech.

I would go back and have them do a relearn it only take 2mins.

·
Official Monkey Business
12,215 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,720 Posts
What about the spare tire? The JK monitors for five tires...
Never heard this before.

I only had TPMS sensors installed in 4 of my wheels, left off the spare. Never had a TPMS light come on until I rotated my spare in.

Fixed that by disabling TPMS with my Superchips, not an option with 11's and 12's.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I had the same problem. Pump them up to 40+ and they will go off. then you can lower it to the recompended tire pressure

·
Registered
77 Posts
Yup I was wrong, the JK only monitors the 4 tires that are rotating, not the spare.

The OP must have a bad sensor or dead battery in one of the mounted wheels.

Sorry for the bad info!

:suicide:

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
my 2010 seems to monitor all 5. Once got a nail and slow leak, changed out the tire, put the leaking tire on the tailgate, filled it with air and in 3 days the TPMS light came on. Checked all 4 tires on the ground and all were good, the spare went flat. Filled it up and the light went off. I run low PSI when on the beach so I am always 'testing' TPMS. The TPMS on mine triggers the light at anything less than 28PSI, I have never adjusted the setting.

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
Are your tires balanced with weights or beads? Those balance beads sometimes get caught up in them and turn the light on.

·
Registered
77 Posts
OK then, I was right the first time, at least for a 2012!

From the manual:

- Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) Light

Each tire, including the spare (if provided), should be checked monthly, when cold and inflated to the inflation pressure recommended by the vehicle manufacturer on the vehicle placard or tire inflation pressure label. (If your vehicle has tires of a different size than the size indicated on the vehicle placard or tire inflation pressure label, you should determine the proper tire inflation pressure for those tires.)
As an added safety feature, your vehicle has been equipped with a Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) that illuminates a low tire pressure telltale when one or more of your tires is significantly under-inflated. Accordingly, when the low tire pressure telltale illuminates, you should stop and check your tires as soon as possible, and inflate them to the proper pressure. Driving on a significantly under-inflated tire causes the tire to overheat and can lead to tire failure. Under-inflation also reduces fuel efficiency and tire tread life, and may affect the vehicle’s handling and stopping ability.
IF THE LIGHT STARTS FLASHING INDICATING A LOW TIRE PRESSURE, ADJUST THE AIR PRESSURE IN THE LOW TIRE TO THE AIR PRESSURE SHOWN ON THE VEHICLE PLACARD OR TIRE INFLATION PRESSURE LABEL LOCATED ON THE DRIVER'S DOOR. NOTE: AFTER INFLATION, THE VEHICLE MAY NEED TO BE DRIVEN FOR 20 MINUTES BEFORE THE FLASHING LIGHT WILL TURN OFF.
Please note that the TPMS is not a substitute for proper tire maintenance, and it is the driver’s responsibility to maintain correct tire pressure, even if under-inflation has not reached the level to trigger illumination of the TPMS low tire pressure telltale.
Your vehicle has also been equipped with a TPMS malfunction indicator to indicate when the system is not operating properly. The TPMS malfunction indicator is combined with the low tire pressure telltale. When the system detects a malfunction, the telltale will flash for approximately one minute and then remain continuously illuminated. This sequence will continue each time the vehicle is restarted as long as the malfunction exists.
When the malfunction indicator is illuminated, the system may not be able to detect or signal low tire pressure as intended. TPMS malfunctions may occur for a variety of reasons, including the installation of replacement or alternate tires or wheels on the vehicle that prevent the TPMS from functioning properly. Always check the TPMS malfunction telltale after replacing one or more tires or wheels on your vehicle, to ensure that the replacement or alternate tires and wheels allow the TPMS to continue to function properly.

:)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts