JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there! I'm brand new here, and I'm also new to JK ownership, so I could definitely use some of the knowledge on this forum. I did own a 93 Cherokee back in the day and my dad had an old Wrangler, which ignited my love of Jeeps. Right now I have a 2018 JK Sport S. It came with 366/75r17s. I've been off-roading a lot, and the stock tires just weren't giving me enough traction, especially when the road got a bit muddy. So, I decided I wanted a good all-terrain tire that wasn't going to be complete misery on the highway, and went with BFG KO2s. I've really like them so far, but it turns out they put tires on that are slightly too wide (275/70R17) and rub when I'm in a max turn. So, they're going to swap them out for different ones. I'm wondering if 265/70R17s will be good or if they will cause similar problems. What do y'all think?

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
yea keep the bigger tires and just put a couple of washers on your steering stops or like mentioned above get some 1.5" spidertrax wheel spacers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Most likely, you're hitting the sway bar. I had that happen when I went to 295-70-17 on stock wheels. I ended up getting some 1.5" spacers found on craigslist cheap. Fixed that. I have a 2.25" front/1" rear lift and have trimmed the middle of the lip of the front fenders for offroad sway disconnected articulation without ripping the fenders off.

·
Super Moderator
6,233 Posts

There's plenty of easy to perform, cheap to implement , means of continuing forward w/ the larger tires. When you begin offroading the Jeep gradually more and more , you'll ultimately be grateful for the extra tire.
As mentioned, you can add simple washers behind the steering-stop bolts on your knuckles to eliminate the turn in rub against the frame behind shocks. Then, if your rubbing up against fender or the edge of front grill bottom or where the fender joins body up behind grill , or ,most likely they are wearing the powdercoating off of your swaybar , so you can 'trim to clear' or just get a quality set of hubcentric spacers from SpyderTracks or Synergy Mfg that slightly move the wheels out just enough to clear those tires.

Everyone deals with this. That's why you read of us cutting wheelwell flanges and jigsawing plastic fenders ; our tires rub s bit. The spacers are safe , under $200 and will still let you have the added clearance and aired down profile footprint of the ( wonderful) KO2 in that beefier size. You'll have an easier go with it than full replacement with a tinier tire ...

There tons of threads on here about this if ya search.
To make ya feel comfort in numbers , as much as I've changed to accommodate them, even my tires still have the occasional rub in those same locations . I have 37" by 13.50" medium size tires and they can just kiss the frame and the swaybar ( it's shiny as a mirror in that one spot) at full lock if stuffed in wheelwell. It makes cool noise and tells me not to turn any further....
that occurs even after I have the bottom of grill cut down , cut fenders , trimmed sheet metal , so on. .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts