JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I'm looking for a wider opinion base on this. A few of us were recently discussing 4-tire vs 5-tire rotation. One dude said throwing on a brand new spare when the tire on the other side is worn down will cause undue diff component wear from the tires spinning at different speeds, so the right thing to do is rotate the spare in to even it out.

What say the folks here?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App using my Samsung Galaxy S4

· Registered
851 Posts
I live in an apartment and don't have the space to do a tire rotation. So, I have to go get it done somewhere. I got my coil change/tire rotation coupon from Mopar and headed to the dealership. They wouldn't do a 5 tire rotation... even though they did it last time. I was pretty damn annoyed.

· Registered
1,418 Posts
Hello all,

I'm looking for a wider opinion base on this. A few of us were recently discussing 4-tire vs 5-tire rotation. One dude said throwing on a brand new spare when the tire on the other side is worn down will cause undue diff component wear from the tires spinning at different speeds, so the right thing to do is rotate the spare in to even it out.

What say the folks here?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App using my Samsung Galaxy S4

Undue wear? Do you only drive in straight lines? :D

· Registered
1,418 Posts
4wheel parts refused to rotate the spare. I bought the tires there and the rotation was free.

Comical.

If you have 4 tires on your vehicle you should rotate 4 tires.

If you have 5 tires on your vehicle you should rotate 5 tires.

This is, of course, my opinion. I like all the tires to be as even as possible regardless of my banter earlier. It all depends on how you think about it. If you are going to use the spare to get you back into town then 25% tread on 1 tire and 100% tread on the other is fine. If you want to drive cross country it is better to have them all matching.

If you read the JK's owner manual, (I pulled mine out to look:D. PG. 314 for 08's), they recommend doing a 4 tire rotation.

If you read Tire Rack's opinion they say do a 5 tire rotation to keep them even.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=43

I like to toss the spare into the mix just to get some use out of it. When you get to the end of your tires life span you are going to swap to something else and upgrade. Better to get as much life out of 5 tires as you can. :D

· Registered
1,024 Posts
5 tire rotation is the way to go for numerous reasons:

- longer time between tire purchases
- better to have evenly matched tires (ie, one new and one very worn down should you only put on the spare when needed later)
- and to those that say they'll only need to buy 3 new tires and keep an old spare when they buy their next set of tires, I say two things:
-- it's rare to buy the exact same set twice
and the number one reason whey you want to have a 5 tire rotation:

TIRES HAVE A SHELF LIFE. So leaving a brand new tire, outside, never used for years, does not mean you have a brand new tire to add to your next set of tires.

Don't be lazy and don't let the shops be lazy. Make them do a 5 tire rotation. Pay them 20% more for it if needed.

Oh, and a bonus reason for doing a 5 tire rotation: you can do it one wheel at a time with a floor jack.

Suggested pattern:
Backs go to the fronts.
Fronts CROSS to the backs (except LF goes to S, S goes to RR)

· Registered
681 Posts
I just bought directional tires so will only be doing a 4 tire rotation. In the past I did do 5 tires rotation.

One BENEFIT of doing a 4 tire rotation is the if you slice a sidewall or totally destroy a tire on the trail and need a new one ... you will now have a matching pair of new tires.

I have a Detroit locker in the back and an Aussie in the front .. so its important my tire diameters are as close to each other as possible on each end of the axle. So doing a 4 tire rotation is actually a good idea in my situation.

· Registered
11,039 Posts
Comical.

This is, of course, my opinion. I like all the tires to be as even as possible regardless of my banter earlier. It all depends on how you think about it. If you are going to use the spare to get you back into town then 25% tread on 1 tire and 100% tread on the other is fine. If you want to drive cross country it is better to have them all matching.

If you read the JK's owner manual, (I pulled mine out to look:D. PG. 314 for 08's), they recommend doing a 4 tire rotation.

If you read Tire Rack's opinion they say do a 5 tire rotation to keep them even.

I like to toss the spare into the mix just to get some use out of it. When you get to the end of your tires life span you are going to swap to something else and upgrade. Better to get as much life out of 5 tires as you can. :D
:rockon:

- better to have evenly matched tires (ie, one new and one very worn down should you only put on the spare when needed later)
- and to those that say they'll only need to buy 3 new tires and keep an old spare when they buy their next set of tires, I say two things:

TIRES HAVE A SHELF LIFE. So leaving a brand new tire, outside, never used for years, does not mean you have a brand new tire to add to your next set of tires.

Don't be lazy and don't let the shops be lazy. Make them do a 5 tire rotation. Pay them 20% more for it if needed.

Oh, and a bonus reason for doing a 5 tire rotation: you can do it one wheel at a time with a floor jack.

Suggested pattern:
Backs go to the fronts.
:beer:

Yes "G"

· Registered
110 Posts
There are only a few of reasons not to do a 5 tire rotation. Laziness (it's ok to admit it), only got 4 tires or the spare tire wasn't rotated in when the tires were new. You don't want a large difference in tire wear.

If you rotate them frequently (say 5-10k miles) they will all be at about the same wear level all of the time.

Tire replacement will be more expensive but lets face it, you are going to buy bigger tires next time anyway so you'll be buying all 5.

· Registered
354 Posts
I do a 5 tire. Reasons already stated above.

· Registered
899 Posts

Suggested pattern:
Backs go to the fronts.
^^^^^^^^^^
All of the above.

· Registered
123 Posts
Comical.

5 is better for sure. I'm lazy and the 4wp shop that rotated the tires wouldn't take the extra cash to do the spare. Few years back I had a spare on another jeep I never rotated. Had to be on there three four years. I sold it to my cousin, two weeks later he had a flat on the expressway and put on that spare.
He got two miles down the road and it blew out, the jeep ended up on it's side.
Tires do not like the sun beating down on them in one spot.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.