JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK Got a question ? what is the best tire pressures for Snow , Sand , Mud , Rock ? Or is there a happy mead em any info would be great Thanks ....

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
For the mud and snow I run my regular air pressure around 35 psi.I spend alot of time on the beach fishing and run anywhere from 15 psi t0 18 psi on the beach depending on conditions.Never did rocks so I can't help u with that.But I have heard some guys go as low as 12psi running rocks.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Guess its trial an era Thats not your jeep sunk in the sand is it ? I almost did that about 15 years ago with my new mits pickup got to close to the water and got stuck had to call a friend to get me out before the tide came in LOL

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
No that wasn't me,I came across that poor guy last year.I actually ran into him again and he was diving a nice old Yj.Yeah with different tire ratings and size's you just have to experiment a little to find what your comfortable with.

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
Rocks w/o beadlocks I run 12-14. Mud is usually street pressure. Snow, on road, I go down to 15, it just seems to stick noticeably better. Sand you want low psi, but not so low you can get sand between the bead, I'd do 12

·
Registered
931 Posts
i haven't done rocks yet, but my buddy out in moab used 12-14 psi. i'm cruising around on the street and the snow for that matter at 28.5 psi. it's a nice smooth comfortable ride. :beer:

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Tire size, construction, sidewall firmness and rim width all affect how a tire will react at different pressures. So the specific pressures that work best for me might be wrong for you. I have 35" BFG MT KM2 tires on 17x9" Soft-8 wheels, and run them normally at 35psi.

On snow I don't change my pressure at all. Maybe up north or out west where 24" snow falls come one after the other I might think different, but I want my tires to push down through the snow to make contact with the road surface below. I also have chains, and though I never needed to use them, I would certainly run full tire pressure with them mounted.

Ice is also usually manageable at normal tire pressure. But if there's a lot of black ice, I'll drop the pressure down lower, 20-25psi. Again, if I opted to run with chains, I'd stay at normal pressure.

With sand you want a soft sidewall and large footprint to float on top of the sand, but not so soft that you risk separating a bead. 15 psi is what I run on the beach and in the sand pits in the Pine Barrens, and it works well for me.

On rocks you also want a large footprint and soft sidewall, especially so the tire can conform to rocks to get maximum grip. But you have to be careful, not only about separating a bead but also getting cuts on the sidewall. Again, I normally run 15 psi, but will go down to 12 psi on particularly difficult obstacles if there's no sharp rocks to cut the sidewalls. Also, as you reduce tire pressure you also loose ground clearance, so this needs to be factored-in.

The little mud I do is usually short runs as part of a larger ride on rocks or sand. I don't change my tire pressure for these short mud obstacles. Someone who's more into mud might comment.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok guys I think that will help mostly we all have to find what works for us Like bumpintheroad said what works for him might not work for me Thanks for the replys

·
Official Monkey Business
12,215 Posts
HWY, I run 35psi. Off road I run 15psi but I have aired down as low as 10psi with no issues.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Tons of variables here, just like Bump said. Trial and error is the best way to find out what works for you and your particular set up.

Rocks I generally run 15 and have for years, BUT, now with these Toyos am back to having to experiment to see what works best. Don't have em dialed in yet. Figure I will be taking them lower as these things really don't grip for shit at 15.

Sand- trail running, 10-12. For balls to the wall sand drags or hill climbs, 5-6. :bounce: An NO, I DON'T have problems popping beads without beadlocks. :thefinger: :shaking:

Snow and ice, whatever it's at cuz it's too damn cold to air down.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts